Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do you have to wear camo?????

Old 11-21-2003, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you have to wear camo?????

I' ve got camo. Whenever I catch it on sale at Wally World, I' ll pick up a shirt or pair of pants. But I don' t hardly ever use it for deer hunting. It' s for dove and turkey season.

For deer, I usually wear a tan and brown plaid flannel shirt, olive drab pants and a brown hat with a brim. I do like Fred Bear did and stick twigs and stuff in the hatband to break up the hat' s outline. I' m a ground hunter, so I keep in the shadows, with brush behind me and also try to keep a thin screen of brush between me and the animals. That' s as camo as I generally get.

The main thing is to watch how and when you move. Movement is what a deer usually picks up first. (This is assuming you keep the wind in your favor, of course.)

If you' re hunting public land during gun season, even if it' s legal in your state to hunt without it, you' re a dang fool if you don' t wear all the orange you can load down with!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you' re hunting public land during gun season, even if it' s legal in your state to hunt without it, you' re a dang fool if you don' t wear all the orange you can load down with
I' ll tell ya, people should wear it whenever you walk. My hunting partner and I do after a close call this year. We were on private land (not ours), and the owner let a fellow turkey hunt (we were bowhunting). Now my friend is 360 pounds OK and was walking back to the truck from his stand wearing camo pants, camo face paint, and a black turtleneck (about 11 am). He heard the turkey hunter earlier in the day but figured that the hunter would see him if he ran into him. But as my friend approached him, the guy raised his gun at him. By buddy yelled, I' m not a turkey, but the guy did not let down, he yelled again and the guy finally dropped his gun. Scary situation.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Way. just ask Chuck Adams, one of the most successful bowhunters to ever live. He has more world records than I have deer and most were shot while he was wearing a red flanel shirt, brown ski cap and jeans. The only reason he wears camo now is because he gets paid to. He said the biggest thing you need to worry about is breaking up your clothing. Never wear solid colors and cover up your face and hands.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:58 PM

i just got a camo sweat shirt and sweat pants at gabriel bros. for twenty five bucks , but you don' t need to wear camo just wear something drab , and invest in a bottle of scent killer spray, check your state game laws to see if you have to wear orange , if there isn' t going to be any bullets flying around you don' t need to wear it!