Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FDC, What a difference it makes?

Old 11-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FDC, What a difference it makes?

Range,

Is this the chart you wanted to post?

Old 11-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why Yes, yes it is...

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Pinwheel 12

I think that the realization that speed certainly isn' t everything is finally coming to the forefront. Many of us used to play the speed game back in the late 80' s and early 90' s, and some who were just coming into the sport saw this and simply thought that they too had to have the fastest mousetrap made, and carried the tradition on for another " generation" . Hence we contrinued to see many " rat-trap" designs with nasty cams and low brace heights, etc, etc. This mentality is definately waning(finally) in recent years IMO-- guys now want smooth, easy drawing designs that offer competitive speed. Why the change? I personally think more and more people are realizing that a bow with a decent ATA and brace height, coupled with a forgiving cam design just shoots better for them. And, it is certainly no fun to sit in a tree in cold weather for 3 hrs or more and then try to get your bow back if it has a nasty FDC, THEN try not to creep a 1/32, because if you do the arrow is gone or your shoulder becomes toast, or both...All for what--- an extra 20-40 or even 60 FPS at 20-30 yds? LOL.

Most hunters in the USA hunt whitetails, so huge buckets of KE isn' t necessary either. Even Elk can be taken with comparable equipment. So IMHO all of the speed/energy hype is just that. Fun to watch go thru a chrono, but otherwise pretty much useless unless you are hunting Rhino or other massive game. In which case you will shoot an 80lb bow anyway.

I have noticed that even Bowtech has opted to increase their brace heights slightly and incorporate a little less " nastiness" to their cam designs in the past couple of years. Kevin and the rest of the crew here at " bowtechnet.com" [&:] can certainly tell you more on this but it seems to be the case. This brings their overall actual speeds down to roughly the same level as many other manufacturers, and consequently I see they are now leaning away from the speed hype marketing technique and to the " new" sales gimmick/marketing strategy of lesser vibration/quietness with the introduction of the VFT. Good move IMHO.

Smooth shooting and great handling bows will IMHO be the predominant characteristics of future designs for all manufacturers, this I am sure of. In fact many manufacturers are already there and are selling well! Altho speeds will forever increase with time, IMHO we have pretty much settled into an " acceptable range" for at least a few years until both technology and materials once again can give us room to advance. JMHO, Pinwheel 12
I didn' t know that the ' 03 BowTech single cam bows and the Pro 40 Wheely qualified as " harsh drawing" or " rat trap speed bows" . Even the ' 03 BKII high brace had a 6 3/4 inch brace height. BowTech' s top 3D bow, the Pro 40 Dually has a 7 3/8 inch brace yet produces IBO speeds of over 330 fps. My own personal Pro 40 Dually in 60 pound/ 29 inch draw, out of the box did 313 fps against the stated 315fps on the birth certificate. This bow is very smooth drawing IMO and is the most accurate bow I' ve owned in 31 years. It is now set up at 29.5 inch draw and at 60 pounds with a 452 grain 2314 X7 arrow it shoots 268 fps and is scarry accurate. BowTech this year is simply responding to consumer demands in bringing out a new line of super soft drawing and shooting bows. Kevin publically asked for what we wanted to see in their new line up and has designed a few new bows to meet those demands. Speed will still be available in at least 10 of the new mens bows, not counting the LadyHawk, Rascal and BlackHawk2, which are still fast for the brace heights of 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 inches.
You can have speed and accuracy both in the same bow and I' m sure those two qualities will never go out of style
Old 11-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I don' t have my glasses on correctly [8D], but it looks to me like the Omega cam peaks very late in the draw cycle (at least according to that chart..blue line, correct?). I' ve seen the DFC for the Maverick w/ CPS Express, and it peaks a few inches sooner. I believe the C.5 and Omega are more similar in that respect (peaking later than the Darton, which is easy to tell when comparing my C.5 bows to my Maverick). I' ve handled the Rapid cams from Merlin on a Max3000 and they peak very early (I guess it had the target mods, though it was a camo hunting model).

I don' t mind a late peak whatsoever as long as the transition is smooth, which BowTech thankfully really improved upon in 2003 (on the singles). My new (2003) ExVFT peaks late but the transition into the valley is very comfy, noticeably moreso than the previous Infinity & BT post feed cams. 2004 cams are supposed to be even better. The same or better speed? good brace? smoother cams? Sounds good to me

Old 11-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I could find Norb' s review of the Darton Rampage and post the curve for the CPS cams, but I can' t locate it.....

Anyone have that review that could scan that plot and post it?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve searched all over the net, and can' t find it anywhere... The only Darton FDC graph I could find was for the CPS Extreme I linked above, but no idea what bow it' s on, appears to have a 9" brace based on where the graph starts, and to my knowledge, the only bows this cam is currently offered on is the Avalanche, Maverick and Magnum, all of which have lower brace heights...
Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Range,

It starts at 9” because a few years ago Norb wrote in one of his reports something about the fact that the way his machine was built/ designed it did not plot early enough on the “new” low brace height bows w/ highly reflexed risers or something to that effect. I don’t remember the issue or even year..could be 5 years ago for all I know.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Norb' s review of the Rampage was one of the regular bow reviews he does for BowHunting World magazine. I don' t think it' ll be on the net anywhere- I was hoping someone might have the copy laying around yet.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I checked BHW' s website, no reviews archive I could find, so I sent editor Mike Strandlund an email asking if it was available anywhere.

Hopefully he' ll reply soon.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has been a while since I looked at that magazine, but there used to be a page in every one where you could order the reports directily from Norb himself. $3 plus postage, as I recall.

Quick Reply: FDC, What a difference it makes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.