Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

99% let-off???

Old 11-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 99% let-off???

As I see it, the guy is hardly ever gonna sell any if he’s relying on his own marketing/advertising skills
You work for a marketing firm/department, don' t you Jeff? Care to volunteer your services???

Sorry Toby, both for getting off track initially and for my last comment. I would like to see some pics of the bow personally as well as hear what Len has to say about his experiences with it.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:24 AM

Don' t sweat it.

http://www.conceptarchery.com/sglcam2.jpg
Old 11-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank,

Hee hee. I used to work in the Marketing Department of my company, so you are correct. My role was kind of a jack-of-all trades, doing a variety of tasks from keeping track of materials inventory to editing and writing those materials.

Volunteer? Nah. However, I know I could clean up his press releases to the point where the English Speaking World (and maybe even parts of West Virginia ) could read and understand them For a price of course

Toby,

Excellent comments. While I am joking around about the “press releases”, and I personally think the item is a gimmick and would never use it, I am interested in how it works too, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:36 AM

Jeff actually it uses needle bearings pressed into the limbs not the cam The axle turns with the cam. It is larger on one side than the other with 2 step downs if I remember right. The axle has a cut out in it where the string goes down into it like a track that is how he got the 99% let off. The axle is holding the weight. It is a very intersting design we will just have to wait and see how durable it will be in the long run.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:56 AM

There was a time when bowhunters who stayed the course and endured the rigors of the sport were all a breed that hunted with a bow only to pit their skills against the superior abilities of the animal. Because the gear was simple and common, debates about how one piece of equipment was better than another seldom occurred. Most of the time, the discussions and exchange of information was about improving shooting accuracy and hunting skills.

Today, the sport has been bastardized by too much technology and too many manufacturers and retailers who speaketh with forked tongue. Bowhunting has been invaded by growing population of people who are more into flaunting what they believe is their latest and better-than-what-the-other-guy-has gear. They are constantly seeking any gear that they believe will simplify the sport and put accuracy and a kill on autopilot.

For these types, having to be in the " field" is probably a necessary inconvenience, necessary to allow them to put an arrow somewhere in the body of an animal so they can boast that they have now certified that their gear is indeed the most rad …and to justify the cost. Luckily, these types do not stay long. However, for the short time they are around, they do their damage. Sadly, others will take their place.

Due to a great increase of bowhunters and the advanced technology of certain gear, the deer kills (nationwide) have been on the rise for several years. It was reported that the number of deer kills (bow and gun) in the 2002-2003 season were incredibly and uncommonly high in comparison with earlier years (seasons), and that it is expected the numbers will increase. Where will (it) lead? I believe it will eventually lead to shorter seasons, a reduction in game limits and possibly (in some states/locales) an intermittent suspension of season.

In the past, states have suspended hunting season for certain game. I cannot remember which state it was, but I recall one state, several years ago, suspended rabbit hunting for 5 years. In my state of Illinois, there are now counties that you cannot shoot a doe for the first 30 days of the season. Due to more people getting into bowhunting large game, great increases in bow kills, diseases affecting the large game populations, loss of habitat, etc, the population control could easily become a population decline.

If you believe that the state (animal) conservation part of the state government is primarily in existence to provide you hunting recreation, you are sadly mistaken. The primary objective of any wildlife conservation arm of any state is to control and preserve a certain population of wildlife in accordance with the amount of habitat available at the least cost to the state. If a state government can meet their wildlife conservation goals with less cost to the state, called " budget," the state will leave your interests in the dust and you crying in the hallway.

With the increase in the number of deer being killed. -nationwide, I highly suspect that most states are watching the situation with a close eye and a grin on their face. Why? Because; if a state can find a reason to shorten the season, or suspend a season, but still keep the deer population controlled and preserved, they will jump at the opportunity in a blink of the eye. Shorter or suspended seasons means less conservation personnel are needed, less salary and benefits paid out, less overtime, less vehicles, less gas, less maintenance costs, less paperwork, less supplies, etc, …but the license fees will remain the same.

Can a 99% let-off bow be solely responsible the demise of the sport? Not quite, and ridiculous to believe so. However, it is relative when combined with all the other advancements that have degraded the sport.

Last: Huntingnet.com, other similar sites, bow/gear manufacturers, retailers, etc, do not control the sport; you do -the (true) bowhunter. Better wake up and smell the roses and take control.

Now, I am going to go hug Art' s longbow... and I might hug Art too.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

C903,

You make some great points, and I don' t disagree with all of hhem, but your argument falls flat because of one big piece of information you neglected to mention.

Deer populations (and Turkey, as well as some other game) over most of the country are totally out of control (especially in the South and East). Hunter' s can' t kill enough of them regardless of season or weapon. Bag limits are going up, seasons are longer, more effective weapons are desired by game commissions (hence inline-Muzzleloader & Crossbow restrictions being loosened up in many states over the past several years) .

Certainly in some small areas that may not be the case, but on average it is indeed. Your Rabbit example likely has more to do with the massive decrease in farmland, and the explosion in urban sprawl than it does with hunting ( a problem upland game has had for the past 30 years, really)

Irregardless, times change. I think Ho-Ho' s or Big Wheels don' t taste nearly as good in the plastic wrappers as they used to when they were in tin-foil :shrug: No going back.

Old 11-06-2003, 11:00 AM

JeffB:

I did not neglect to mention the " big piece of information. I did not because in the scheme of things, the " down the road" conditions, the present size of the game populations are irrelevant. Nature is fragile and its (nature) stability can change rapidly once the wrong block is pulled from the stack.

As I indicated, you have to factor in all the influences; e.g., decline in habitat, diseases, greater numbers being killed by vehicles, increase in wounded and unrecovered deer, overkill of best bucks, etc. At anytime, the wrong block could be pulled from the stack.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

the present size of the game populations are irrelevant
This is the fundamental point where we will have to agree to disagree. I think it' s extremely relevant to this discussion.

However, this thead has gotten way off track[], partly due to my own comments,[:' (] so I' ll refrain from posting further unless directly related to the thread title.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:38 PM

What you are contributing is totally relevant. The discussion appropriately swung to the good and bad about some tech advances in the bowhunting sport. Namely, a 99% let-off bow.

In my opinion, today there are far too many people with tech bows that treat bowhunting as target shooting rather than hunting. All you have to do is read many of the posts on this site to realize it is so. Some of the shooters go out and stick a deer but cannot track an elephant in 6 feet of fresh fallen snow. After they stick a deer, they run to their computer and come to sites like this one to ask what they should NOW do! Gimme a break! [:@]

PS: Does the present size of game populations mean the populations will always remain static, and therefore let us all just blow the hell out everything by using every piece of scientific gear available?
Old 11-06-2003, 01:34 PM

I grew up using modern equipment, love too hunt, and want to learn everything about bowhunting, including its history and its future. In Michigan you can take a doe everyday on private land until the DNR' s quota has been met. The DNR needs us to do that job, otherwise the deer population would explode. I believe that modern equipment (compound bows) has allowed us to be more efficient hunters. I could see the season being shortened if the deer population required it, but I don' t see technology being the downfall of archery, or its season. Hunters are more important than just controlling the deer herds, they help support some economies in rural areas, our licenses buy land and pay salaries. Technology puts money into the sport, and I believe helps our sport and the people it supports grow. If it is unethical or not pure enough to kill with 99% letoff than let the bowhunter and his dollars make that decision.
There is a certain element that is always going to feel that hunting is a competition, but where I am from its a way of life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.