Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pressing a new bow bends the riser???

Old 02-02-2002, 11:38 PM

Default Pressing a new bow bends the riser???

I shot my new HCA 4-Runner through paper twice. I liked the hole, so I put the bow on my press to install a peep. When I prepared to shoot again, I noticed that the shaft was at a severe angle toward the bow. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the grip was cracked. Then, I figured it out...the riser was bent. I sent the bow back and they repaired it. I'm a burned out shooter who is getting back in. I'm using my "old" press that worked well before: a rope is attached over the center of the grip. Is this press setup ok for these new bows, or am I supposed to use something else? I want to preload the limbs, but I'm afraid to put the darn thing back onto the press!
Old 02-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pressing a new bow bends the riser???

I don't know exactly why but I was told to never use the grip area in a bow press. I use two straps around the ends of the riser
Old 02-03-2002, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure about your press, my grabs the bow at both ends of the riser. I have heard of this happening before, and each time it involed High country bows. I don't realy know what to tell you, maybe some of the others have more knowledge on this matter.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-03-2002, 07:24 AM
tm
Fork Horn

I've never believed in putting a bow in a press without backing off the limb bolts. You're not the only one that's bent a riser with this model of press. If you get a steel bar and a coupla nylon straps and hooks you can make the press over into a double pull that hooks to the ends of the riser. I use the Apple Hercules press with the trailer jack and rollers now and wouldn't go back.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Center pull presses are notorious for this.

When used on a marginally strong riser design you are almost guaranteed a riser failure.

JeffB
Old 02-03-2002, 08:34 AM

Thanks guys! I'll have to modify...possibly rebuild my press, but it will be easier than sending bows back!