Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt Cam and a half... opinions..

Old 11-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: Hoyt Cam and a half... opinions..

I went to the Hoyt Ultratec this past January after always being a finger shooter. I am shooting 430 gr arrows at 265 fps. VERY VERY Smooth and VERY VERY Quiet!! I took 6 deer with it in the first 21 days of October. Get crop damage permits etc and 2 buck tags in Michigan and hunt here in ohio. Have never taken a deer past 21 yards till I got this bow. 1 at 28 yards 1 at 26yards and 1 at 25 yards, the rest were closer. I think the 6 deer prove it all for me. Altough I have taken over 50 deer I have never done this well in such a shot time!!
Old 11-03-2003, 10:07 PM

Oh did I mention wisper quiet.
Navy said it best. I have the 2003 Cybertec and I would not have this bow if I did not clip on to Navys 2002 Cyber tec and love it so much, not to mention one other slight draw back.... no not with my Hoyt. We are talking about opinions right well they " are like a..holes everybody has one" I like the fact the draw is so smooth that you could draw a carbon arrow back on a pencil tip and it would not fall off, very, very little kick. The 2003 are blistering fast also with allot of down range punch. I do believe the grip should be just a little larger or be an option for us Guys.... or girls will large hands. You do need to be consistent with your form a bit more with this grip. I love my bow and the wife is jealous.... just the way I like it. I have dubbed Navy and myself the" Hoyt Boys" at the local range. Good clean fun with the " Matthews Boys" . LOL Don' t foget Navys quote up top. It is true.

Corey
Old 11-04-2003, 07:03 AM

Thanks again all, I love these opinions from the people that have shot them. Although you can get the feel of a bow by shooting it a few times at the store you really dont get the feel of the long haul. I would like to hear more from JeramyK about why he feels the bow isn' t for him. Just to hear his opinion. And like nmaineron I too maybe wish it had just another 1/2" of brace. But I did like the handle and I have very large hands. However I have been shooting a small gripped bow for qhite a while now. I shoot a Hoyt Pro(something or other)cant even remember what it is exactly, it was one of thier first machined alum bows.

And as with anybow I know form is very important, if it wasn' t a challenge we wouldn' t be in this sport and we would all be shooting 7MM Mag' s with lazer scopes. I do feel my form is pertty decent or I wouldn' t have shot 11 straight perf. 300 games in a row. However, standing 20 yards broadside to a paper target and 20 yards quatering away while standing 15 feet up a tree are two totally different things.

Thanks again all!!! Love the opinions, keep them comming!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:50 AM

I too would suggest an ultratec with your draw. Mine will have its birthday this month and it hasn' t been in a press since the first day when I put in the peep. Factory cables at the factory settings. They stretched for the first couple hundred shots and have settled in ever since. I shot my deer from a treestand in a sitting position with no problems with the length. After all 4" of ATA only equates to 2" on each side of the grip. My ultra has the 2000 limbs.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The C.5 is definitely a great cam system. While it may not be “new” it was a needed change for Hoyt , IMO as their cam technology for the past few years had been very lackluster and run of the mill.

It’s smooth to draw, and very accurate. Just make sure if you can, that you purchase a model where your draw length will not be in the either of the two longest draw length positions (e.g. if you have a 30” draw, you would want to get a cam that will max out at 31”) as this is where the nock travel “problems” will tend to show up. Not that it’s a huge deal, just a suggestion if you want the best possible nock travel.

The only thing I think Hoyt really needed to address was recoil. The C.5 has the speed and smoothness, and the bows are super quiet and vibe free but the limb angles they have used still produced some thump, at least compared to other top-end designs such as Mathews Legacy/LX, BowTech Pat SC/ExVFT, etc. This seems to have been focused on with the 2004 models with their more parallel limb angle, and shorter limbs. I’ve shot the new ViperTec and it is very smooth shooting thanks to those new features. In fact, I nearly bought it I was so impressed, but picked up something else instead
Old 11-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sport/MN

I would like to hear more from JeramyK about why he feels the bow isn' t for him. Just to hear his opinion.
Well, I' ll try to describe it. I firmly believe a bow should feel comfortable in my hands. Almost as though it' s an extension of my body. With the 2 previous bows that I' ve owned this has been the case. The more I shot them, the better they felt. With the Cybertec I' ve found that it just doesn' t seem to balance well for me. I' ve tried different stabilizers and with or without the quiver attached. I get noticable fatigue in my bow arm ... more specifically my wrist. I' ve had my brother video tape so we could watch back in slow motion. It seems I' m really moving my wrist alot at full draw. I think it might be due to the much smaller grip than my old bow.

As I' ve said, I have nothing against the bow. I really like it. However I' ve been spending some " quality" time with my brothers Bowtech and I' m really taking a liking to it. I can shoot it much much longer with no problems whatsoever. It feels more like my old bow. So now I' m looking into the 04' Bowtechs rather than force myself to adjust to the Cybertec.