Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

question about sight??

Old 11-02-2003, 09:27 PM

Default question about sight??

hey guys i got a ? for anyone that can help. for bowhunting i only use 2 pins set at 20 and 30 yards and they are pretty close together but i would like to use just one pin if possible?? i think if i set one at 25 then i would be about 4" high at 20 and about 4" low at 30 but that is just a guess and i would like to be a lil closer then that? is it true that the farther out the sight is away from the bow the closer your pins will be? if so is there some kind of bracket i could get and extend my sight off my bow a lil farther?? thanks to anyone that gives any advice!!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question about sight??

Actually, the closer your sight is to the bow, the closer your pins will be together.

As far as your " one pin" idea goes, for my rig, if I were to use a single pin at 25yards,

At 20 yards, I would be about 2.5" high and at 35 yards it would be about 6" low.

Check out the link below, it will allow you to plug some numbers for your bow and determine the arrow trajectory.
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/qq53/gbag.applet1.shtml#Java%20Trajectory

I have used this a number of times before, and it seems to be spot on with my setup.

Just as a matter of personal preference, I prefer at least 2 pins (20 & 30). This allows me another reference mark when gapping the pins for a 24, 27 or 35 yard shot.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:36 PM

Actually, the closer your sight is to the bow, the closer your pins will be together.
Are you sure about that? Now I' m gonna have to go check it out!!! [:@]
Old 11-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Think about it in the extreme sense. Your arrow will drop about 6" between 20 and 30 yards. If you had the worlds longest sight bar (20 yards long), your pins wold be about 6" apart. As you bring the sight in closer to you, you are essentially closer to the adjacent angle of the triangle so your pins get closer together. In the most extreme sense, if you pins were directly in front of your eye, at 20 and 30 yards, they would be touching.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

He' s right.[8D]

I don' t use sights at all any more and can easily put my arrows within a couple of inches of where I intend to hit, under hunting conditions, out to 30 yards. Out to 50 yards on my good days. I can' t shoot a 300/60X barebow on the indoor range but a deer' s heart is a good bit bigger than that X ring.

Old 11-06-2003, 02:54 AM

My first sight had 6" overall length, I had my pins at 10, 20, 30, 40 meters...my last pin was at it' s lowest position (45 meters), and the sight bracket was at it' s lowest position...just enough for vane clearance.

I replaced that sight for a sight with an overall length of 8" ....the extension bar was 6" . I thought that if the sight bracket was further away...I can use the last pin for the 50 meters target. You mean I' ll have to bring the sight all the way back to the riser to be able to use all 5 pins?

All this time, I thought the " spot" shooters were using their sights with really really long extension bars ie. toxonics or sur loc sights, so they can aim further....80 or even 100 meters.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to admit that I thought it was just the opposite as well though it would make sense for why many 3D shooters use their extended bar sights...it would allow for greater accuracy if they can be even more specific in terms of their yardage adjustment.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:51 AM
Spike

Redline is right about the pins being closer together. Instead of thinking closer to the bow think closer to your eye.

For the doubters try this experiment. With your arm fully extended, hold your fore finger and thumb apart to gap an object across the room. Now maintain that gap and bring in to your eye. See how much closer your fingers need to be to create that same visual gap at arms length.