Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brace height question

Old 11-01-2003, 09:23 PM

Default brace height question

ok i have a small draw length of 27 in.i would like to know before i purchase a new bow next year if the small brace height of 6 1/2 to 7in will interfere with my accuracy at all.it seems as though all i hear is about the small brace height being more critical.is that pertaining to longer draw lengths only.before i spend all that money i would like to get the proper info from you guys.i was looking at the new patriots and really like the specks on the new vft patriot and the good things about the smooth draw of the liberty.are they letoff adjustable--i also use a loop which some say gives you extra draw length--but i dont agree,to me your draw length stays the same you just anchor further back.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:27 AM

Default RE: brace height question

The length of the power stroke is the critical measurement. This would be your draw length minus your brace height. A lower number is more forgiving of torque. You shouldn' t see any excess problems with the configuration you mentioned.

I have found brace heights in that range to be a bit low for hunting in very cold weather with a heavy jacket. When you' re in an odd shooting position, it can be much easier for the string to hit your sleeve.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Parker has a 7" brace height w/ a 26" draw. I do notice that unless perfect form used, the string has a tendancy to just barely graze the sleeve. A smaller brace height may increase the chance for a good arm slapping.

Good luck out there
-BJ
Old 11-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first question would be, what are you planning to use the bow for? If it' s going to be a 3D bow, then you' re probably not going to be wearing a heavy jacket, you' re not likely to be shooting from an awkward position and you' ve got plenty of time to go through a form checklist on each shot. A 6" brace height isn' t going to be any problem and you will pick up some helpful arrow speed.

If it' s going to be a hunting bow, I wouldn' t go shorter than 7" , because you are likely to be wearing a heavy jacket, shooting in an awkward postion and form is not exactly the top thing in your mind when you' re drawing on a deer. Having a bow that lets you get a clean shot off in less than perfect conditions is a lot more important than a few extra feet per second.

If you' re going to use it for both hunting AND 3D, then buy the hunting bow and knuckle down a little harder on your yardage estimation on the 3D course.