Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with Muzzy tuning?????

Old 11-01-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Help with Muzzy tuning?????

Ok. fellas, I got a problem. I new to this forum and a beginner to bowhunting. I ' ve been shooting for several months now and think I' m pretty good. I put some Muzzy 4 blade 100 gr. broadheads on my Easton ACC arrows. I ' m shooting a Mathews Z-Max set at 70 pounds. With my field tips, I can put them in the bullseye from 20 to 50 yards all day long. I put my broadheads on and it throws the point of impact off by about an inch. But still in a tight group. Should I adjust my sights to the broadheads or what?? I also starting to shoot at some tournaments soon and I guess I' ll have to readjust everytime I go hunting or tournament shooting. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with Muzzy tuning?????

Which direction are you off target?
Old 11-02-2003, 08:31 AM

To the right about 1 in.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:19 AM

at what range?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:47 AM

Any where from 5 out to 30 yrds. I just come in from tuning it in with the broadheads. Now I' m tuned in with keeping them all inside the bullseye from 5 to 40 yrds with the broadheads. Just made a few adjustments and its right on. When shooting my field tips now, they' re keeping good groups now in the bullseye. I did change my grip on the bow. Before I was shooting with my wrist sling snug and only letting the bow rest against my hand. I' ve changed that to a closed grip with slight pressure on the bow. Seems to be working, gonna do some more shooting this afternoon. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

It is not uncommon for fixed blade BHs to group just a little off from your field points. This is not necessarily indicative of a bad tune, just different flight characteristics.

A 1" point of impact change is more than acceptable out ot 30 yards. Just move your sight and go hunting.

The one thing I will caution is that if you are continuously moving your sights to hunt then target shoot, I would ensure that I left at least 1 day in between each event to make sure that when I moved my sights back, the BHs are still hitting where they should. The foam target or bale does not care if you miss the X, but you owe it to your prey to ensure a quick clean kill.