Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy "Negative" Effect

Old 02-02-2002, 07:30 PM

Default Muzzy "Negative" Effect

I am just about certain I am one of those very few that will be ubable to use the MZE. I shoot a Hoyt Magnatech and I have a 26" draw. Three weeks ago I received my MZE. Two weeks ago I received the Hoyt plate. This week I received the aftermarket cable guard and another Turnbuckle arm. As I previously stated in another post I had to trick my bow to get the turnbuckle arm to line up with the cable slide. There were some other problems as well. I called and spoke to Eric at Muzzy and he said he would be able to fix my problems. I am somehow not a believer of that anymore. Here are my two biggest problems, starting from the most extreme to the least. 1) There is no perfect medium for the length of my turnbuckle sleeve. It is either too long and I can't get the rest to clear the speed guard shelf at full draw, or it is too small and I can't get the rest to drop below the speed guard shelf at rest which inevitably comes in contact with my vanes. Mind you, I have one sleeve that is literally a stub and it the stop plate screw still does not come in contact with the stop plate. I now have "2" turnbuckle sleeves, one long one short...there is no perfect medium. 2) Which hole do I mount the stud? If I use the the one farthest from the string I can't position the stop plate correctly as it comes in contact with the riser. If I use the hole nearest the string the turnbuckle arm comes in contact with the cable slide mount, and I therefore have to use a spacer between the stud and the turnbuckle arm.

Last night after investing six hours into the rest (once again) I took it off the bow and put my old one back on. I am ready to start shooting again. There is no doubt in my mind the MZE is not a great rest, I just think I am one of the few who are unable to use it.
Old 02-02-2002, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Muzzy "Negative" Effect

I wish I could help you, but I sold mine after trying to make it work on my Vortec. I could never get it right either. I also had the arrow resting on the vanes while at full draw, which I did not like.
The main problem I had, was the dang cable slide on the ZE ate through 4 strands of my buss cable in ONLY 5 shots. I have had much better luck with other drop away rests. It's good to be shooting again.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:12 PM

well I dont know if this is an option but I have a HOYT raptor red line and the guy at the pro shop said they had tried putting the MZE on some Hoyts and they had poor luckwith them and I shot a hoyt with a trophy taker rest on it and that sold me on the rest they did a real nice set up on the rest it consisted of two short arrow stubs about an inch and a half long set on the shelf to center the arrow on the draw than held in place by a piece of that camo adhesive felt put over the arrow stubs from the edge of the shelf to a point about three inches up the riser I`ve been using it for a little over a year now and those to little stubs make that on sweet set up no finger guiding needed what so ever hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:51 PM

Razorhunter

Were you able to return the rest? I now have about $115 wrapped up in the rest and I would hate to see it dumped in with the rest of my archery box. I guess I could always try and sell it.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:06 PM

have you thought about the trophy taker? easy to install, quieter than the ZE,less moving parts.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:18 PM

dalliwhacker,
I sold mine on ebay. It basically sold as new. I stated that the rest only had 5 shots on it, and that there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It sold pretty quickly and the buyer was very happy. I almost got full price.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:59 PM

My only problem with that is I don't know if the turnbuckle sleeve is too short for another individual.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:27 PM

dalliwacker: If you have one of the older MagneTec bows, fitting the MZE is extremely hard and may be impossible with your draw length. This is the only bow that we shy away from when asked to install the MZE. I would return it or sell it - whichever is better for you. Take a good look at the new Golden Key Mirage drop-away rest. I don't have any experience with it yet, but it is very impressive in its design.

BTW, the turnbuckle sleeve is easily available and costs very little.

razorhunter: Although being a little difficult for someone without some experience installing the MZE, it is doable and is very nice when properly installed. We have used the Sims cable dampeners as stops on some installations. I don't like using this method; but, it is necessary on certain draw lengths.

Bo539: I must disagree with you about the quietness issue. The MZE makes absolutely no noise when properly installed. The only noise issue could be the arrow hitting the pickup arm. That is easily solved by the use of moleskin on the pickup arm.

When you consider moving parts, the MZE has only two. Think about it and I think you might agree.

Bottom line, the MZE has a lot of fans but may not be for every bow/archer.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the advice Len, I have the first run of the Magnatech. Glad I got an expert opinion. I'll take a look at your recommendation.

For anyone reading this post, don't take it the wrong way. I am confident the rest is wonderful for 99.9% of bows. I just happen to fall into the .1%.

Edited by - dalliwacker on 02/02/2002 23:36:21
Old 02-03-2002, 02:24 PM

The Trophy Taker is a lot better rest. Not near the moving parts and lees money. I just started shooting them this year and I am amazed how forgiving they made my bow. They are real easy to set up also.

Quick Reply: Muzzy "Negative" Effect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.