Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Got a response from mathews

Old 10-31-2003, 05:22 AM

Default RE: Got a response from mathews

I asked to order a winners choice string and was made to feel embarassed for asking such a thing. I took his " advice" and put on a Zebra. I am already experiencing the same problems as last year. I can tell you the next string won' t be a Zebra. When I look to buy a new bow I know I won' t be so quick to jump at Mattews again[X(
That was a problem with the dealer, not Mathews. Most stock strings are junk and need replacing, from most bow companies.

Here' s my take on the situation. Mathews advertising works, and works very well. When I go to my local range, 80% of the bows being shot, are Mathews (I don' t shoot one). Out of curiosity, I' ve asked many of them what they thought of Mathew' s advertising. Most say, they like it. A few didn' t even know what the ads said, but no one said it offended them. I think this is very typical of the average hunter who isn' t on their computer talking about this stuff all the time.

I think the microcosm of bowhunters on this forum, do not at all represent the average bow user out there. Heck, I' d bet that half of the posters here, have some affiliation with a bow company or bow shop. They are biased, to an extreme. Many have anit-Mathews agendas, and will put them down at all costs. It' s always been typical business practice to attack the company on the top. Some of these anti-Mathews posters, post frequently and have gained respect on these forums, so when the issue is Mathews, they often sway the opinions of others who read this stuff. In the real world, the attitudes I see on these forums, do not exist to a noticable degree. Mathews has been wildly successful doing what they do. If the advertising didn' t work, it would be known immediately by Mathews and they would change it right away. The mere fact that it remains, is proof of it' s effectiveness. Almost no one in the real world gets offended by a product advertisement that is targeting a competitor, unless they are affiliated with a competitor.

The attiltudes that persist on these forums in regards to Mathew' s advertising, do not occur to any great degree among the average bowhunter. Believe me when I say Mathews knows this. No company dumps that kind of money into advertsing without evaluating it' s effectiveness to the nth degree. If other companies put the same amount into their advertising, you' d see a lot of the same kind of comparisons, and although this kind of advertising greatly effects competitor' s attitudes and those who are overly loyal to another company, the average bowhunter doesn' t give a hoot.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:22 AM

I asked to order a winners choice string and was made to feel embarassed for asking such a thing. I took his " advice" and put on a Zebra. I am already experiencing the same problems as last year. I can tell you the next string won' t be a Zebra. When I look to buy a new bow I know I won' t be so quick to jump at Mattews again[X(
That was a problem with the dealer, not Mathews. Most stock strings are junk and need replacing, from most bow companies.

Here' s my take on the situation. Mathews advertising works, and works very well. When I go to my local range, 80% of the bows being shot, are Mathews (I don' t shoot one). Out of curiosity, I' ve asked many of them what they thought of Mathew' s advertising. Most say, they like it. A few didn' t even know what the ads said, but no one said it offended them. I think this is very typical of the average hunter who isn' t on their computer talking about this stuff all the time.

I think the microcosm of bowhunters on this forum, do not at all represent the average bow user out there. Heck, I' d bet that half of the posters here, have some affiliation with a bow company or bow shop. They are biased, to an extreme. Many have anit-Mathews agendas, and will put them down at all costs. It' s always been typical business practice to attack the company on the top. Some of these anti-Mathews posters, post frequently and have gained respect on these forums, so when the issue is Mathews, they often sway the opinions of others who read this stuff. In the real world, the attitudes I see on these forums, do not exist to a noticable degree. Mathews has been wildly successful doing what they do. If the advertising didn' t work, it would be known immediately by Mathews and they would change it right away. The mere fact that it remains, is proof of it' s effectiveness. Almost no one in the real world gets offended by a product advertisement that is targeting a competitor, unless they are affiliated with a competitor.

The attiltudes that persist on these forums in regards to Mathew' s advertising, do not occur to any great degree among the average bowhunter. Believe me when I say Mathews knows this. No company dumps that kind of money into advertsing without evaluating it' s effectiveness to the nth degree. If other companies put the same amount into their advertising, you' d see a lot of the same kind of comparisons, and although this kind of advertising greatly effects competitor' s attitudes and those who are overly loyal to another company, the average bowhunter doesn' t give a hoot.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The attiltudes that persist on these forums in regards to Mathew' s advertising, do not occur to any great degree among the average bowhunter.
Come work a few weekends at the shop I help out at , I think you' ll find that' s not the case. Matt' s smear campaign has worked (we sell Hoyt & Mathews), and worked well. Before that ad started to see great circulation, C.5' s walked out the door at an unbelievable pace. Once the ad had been out for some time, then the questions started..Hoyt sales which had steadily increased since Nov. of 2002 leveled off, and dropped. Interestingly enough, LX sales which were absolutely abysmal for the first few months we had them, suddenly skyrocketed. That may not be representative of the entire country, but it sure affected us, and the bowhunters in our area (highest concentration of Bowunters in NYS, btw)

That said, I don' t think anyone is questioning the effectiveness of Mathews advertising (which is mainly what your post addresses) but rather how it' s not particularly healthy for the industry at large, may ruin his credibility, and/or how " ethical" the smear campaign may or may not be.

:shrug:

Old 10-31-2003, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

That said, I don' t think anyone is questioning the effectiveness of Mathews advertising (which is mainly what your post addresses) but rather how it' s not particularly healthy for the industry at large, may ruin his credibility, and/or how " ethical" the smear campaign may or may not be.

This is correct. You see, in the archery business, most dealers sell many different lines of bows whereas in say the auto industry, dealers sell Ford or Chevy not usually both... So the " yours sucks, ours is better than yours" advertising has a different effect.

In my work, I speak to and visit a lot of dealers and many of them sell several different bow lines (BowTech being one of them) and of the ones that sell both Mathews and Hoyt too, the higher percentage didn' t like the Hoyt sucks magazine ads and video tapes. I' m not saying the ads weren' t effective but were they really necessary?

Yes, I am a little biased (it' s my living and pays my bills) but I' m not anti Mathews. I will however say that their 7-8 page ads never did anythng for me but, I sure do like them better than the 2 page ads against Hoyt...

JMHO...
Old 10-31-2003, 08:45 AM

That said, I don' t think anyone is questioning the effectiveness of Mathews advertising (which is mainly what your post addresses)
Jeff,

Actually, the main point of my post, was that the average bowhunter doesn' t care if Mathews smears Hoyt' s bows. If they did, the ad wouldn' t work. It' s only on these forums that there is a great outcry for justice to be served on the evil empire. [8D]

Bowtech shooter,

This is correct. You see, in the archery business, most dealers sell many different lines of bows whereas in say the auto industry, dealers sell Ford or Chevy not usually both... So the " yours sucks, ours is better than yours" advertising has a different effect.
Your area may be different, but around here there is one Mathews dealer for about 40 miles. The other 25 dealers, sell something else, yet a vast majority of the bows in our league are Mathews bows (league is held at a shop that doesn' t sell Mathews). It' s easy to see why the other 25 dealers want to put Mathews down so badly. Funny how the bowhunters don' t really care. People like yourself care, and for good reason. It' s how you make your living, and Mathews is taking a big chunk of the market. I would also take offense to the " top dog" slamming my product, and like I said, it' s common for the smaller companies to all gang up on the main rival. My point is, the average bowhunter doesn' t care. Once again, if they did, the advertising wouldn' t work.

Personally, I don' t shoot a Mathews and never have. The ads mean nothing to me. If anything, they are entertaining. For me to get offended by the ad, would be silly. Mathews is doing nothing to offend me! It would be like getting offended when Coke makes fun of Pepsi (or the other way around). The consumer doesn' t care. It' s entertainment to most of those on the outside of the industry.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:14 AM

if there so inavated and the solo cam sales so much why every chance they get is to bash hoyt....... i shoot hoyt and wouldnt switch. Hoyt might of lost tWO archer but they still got the best dave cousins!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

WOW! Seems like another Mathews bashing post! Sorry to hear about all you shooters who are having trouble. I must of gotten the only good Mathews bow in the world.[:-] I' ve shot thousands of arrows out of my Legacy. Roller guard seems just fine! Yup, I' ll have to replace the string next season but will add a couple more thousand shots to it in the mean time.

Are Mathews bows perfect? Naw, but none of them are. I hope all of you out there get your dream deer with the bow of your choice.[8D]
Old 11-02-2003, 08:39 PM

Ive shot mathews bows and they are fine bows, I have shot (and owned) Hoyt bows and they are fine bows, right now i am shooting a jennings buckmasters and guess what they kill the deer just as dead as the mathews or the hoyt does,

I actually planned on buying a mathews next spring but i feel intimidated everytime i go in the shop, the dealers of the mathews around here are just so cocky, i might look at the hoy or bowtecs
Old 11-03-2003, 04:23 PM

I know a Matthews pro shooter personally and he has the same attitude that Matthews ads show.

Personally, I shoot a Hoyt because I shot one and I liked it.

Matthews sales are always going to be higher, because everyone that buys one likes it but doesn' t like it too much, so when the new model comes out they just have to have a new one and wouldn' t dream of buying a different brand.

Just like Trucks. Ford has the highest sales every year, but Cheverolet has the highest custome satisfaction and longer life. Ford sales more because their customers want a Ford and always do, even when it breaks they buy another one. Or they just have more money than sense and buy a new one every year....

Old 11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Only got one thing to say and I don' t shoot either a Matthews or a Hoyt!!!!

My local shop who sells both brands plus some others confided to me that his Matthews rep apologized for the manner in which Matthews tried to rip Hoyt, specifically on the cam-and-1/2.