Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

CAN YOU SET YOUR DRAW WEIGHT TO HIGH??

Old 10-28-2003, 04:33 PM

Default CAN YOU SET YOUR DRAW WEIGHT TO HIGH??

I have a bow that has a peak weight of 55lbs. Does that mean that if I tighten both limbs as far as they will go that it will be at 55lbs? Or will it actually go higher than the peak weight? Also, will raising my draw weight quiet my bow down any? Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CAN YOU SET YOUR DRAW WEIGHT TO HIGH??

A lot of bows can max out at higher than they say mayber yours can go to 58 or maybe 55 the max, Someone correct me if i' m wrong but pretty much every bow I have seen or heard about being maxed out has been able to go past its peak. Also every bow shoots best and quietest at its longest drawlength and when the limbs are maxed out. Hope this helps-Sam
Old 10-29-2003, 09:26 AM

You' re right nuge, most will peak a tad above stated ranges, and a few will peak just under the stated max. I did have one Browning though that peaked WAY ABOVE it' s max. It was 45-70 lb stated range, and when maxed out, darn near hit 90 lbs. I wouldn' t have wanted to shoot it at that draw weight (I did get it back but told the shop owner that it was no where near 70 lbs. He checked it and it was at 87 lbs). I' m afraid that if I had taken it at it' s face value and shot it, it would have exploded on me. It just had alot of adjustment room.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Nuge except for one point. Jusst something that should be mentioned. A bow does not shoot it' s best at the longest draw setting. It shoots it' s best when it' s set to fit the user.
Nuge, I' m almost sure you meant that it will get it' s best performance so please don' t take this wrong.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I meant the bow will shoot its best. Not saying that the shooter will shoot it the best at that length. So yes I meant performance.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:25 PM

In some bow manual I read that when you want to max the draw weight turn the bolts to the very end and then back off 1/4 turn for safety and performance sake.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:44 PM

Bow_Nut. Read my post above and you' ll see why that' s a bad idea. ALWAYS use a bow scale when setting your draw weight. Also, you have to adjust the tiller. This alone may negate the back off a 1/4 turn theory as it may not adjust the tiller properly.