Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP... My bow sounds like a rifle

Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 PM

Default HELP... My bow sounds like a rifle

I just got a new string put on my bow and it is way too loud. I dont know what kind of string it is. They just gave me what they had in stock. I dont know if name brand matters, but with the same poundage setting and the same string leeches it is louder. Its always been kinda loud but now its way too loud what can I do? Its loud enough now to echo when shooting in the backyard.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP... My bow sounds like a rifle

Limbsavers!!! They make a world of difference.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could be they just slapped the string on it and didn' t check axle to axle length or brace height to make sure it was the right length.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:28 PM

In addition to Art' s speculation, let me add that maybe they bent your riser in the bowpress. []Jus' pullin' your leg. I don' t have much faith in bowshops and have not for many years.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

How would they bend a riser in a bow press?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:34 PM

The bow came with the big limbsavers on the limbs. Would it help if I put more on it? Can you use more than 1 set? I also have a big rubber stabilizer that seemed to cancel some noise when I put it on. Will the string stretch and quiet down?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:01 PM

If your bow was' nt loud before the new string,I would take it back to the shop and find out why it is now.Why put a lot of things on the string to make it quiet.Chances are they put the wrong string on it.

Joe
Old 10-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

How would they bend a riser in a bow press?
VERY easily.

Huntmaster, if the bow is loud because the string is too long now (as I suspect), it' s going to be even worse when the string does stretch out. And you' re draw length will be too long. And your draw weight will fall off. And you could start slapping your wrist with the string. And about a half dozen other things... ALL bad.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:23 PM

Thanks guys. The string may be too long. I think my cams are rotating farther forward now that you mention it. But I didn' t make note of where they were before just trying to remember. This thing sounds like its about to blow apart and I' ve got to do something. I didn' t hunt this year and I try to shoot every day so I can hunt next year. I' m good enough on a range when I concentrate but dont think I could hit the ground reliably when a deer is there. BTW is it possible to wear a bow out?
Old 10-28-2003, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur how do you improperly use a press so it bends? How can you tell it is bent if it is bent slightly. I have had some pretty bad shops/stores put my bow in a press because I didn' t want to drive all the way to a good pro shop. What do I look for so no one makes a mistake.

Quick Reply: HELP... My bow sounds like a rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.