Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When does a pendulum sight become necessary?

Old 10-27-2003, 08:57 AM

Default When does a pendulum sight become necessary?

On the advice of a few friends i have been checing into pendulum sights for tree stand hunting. But after thinking about it for awhile and running some numbers i am not sure that I would really need one. At what height does a pendulum sight become beneficial?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 09:11 AM

Default RE: When does a pendulum sight become necessary?

If I remember correctly, the pendulum sight is most beneficial above 15' . I rarely go higher than that so I just practice my shooting from elevated positions, and, learn to judge yardage really well. Even if you use a laser range finder, and pre-range your shooting lanes, do it at the same elevation as your stand. In other words, if you' re 10' up, don' t range to the base of a tree. Range to a point in that tree 10' above the ground.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:32 AM

Krotalus:

Actually, the only reason you would require a pendulum sight is if your depth perception is bad, or you cannot visually estimate distance and never will be able to.

Otherwise, the flatter trajectories of today' s compounds …..and there is no such thing as a flat shooting trajectory for an arrow, only less curve, will generally put the arrow in the " zone" out to 20-25 yards. Some fast bows will be in the zone out to 30-yards using only I pin.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Danny,

I' m not sure I follow you.

Why would you not want to measure the exact distance of the shot?
Old 10-27-2003, 02:21 PM

Some of us with short draw length and/or can not draw 70# can be helped by using pendulums! I do know my ranges when I am on stand and I do own a range finder but I still like useing a pendulum. One pin from 0-35 yards at 15-25 feet up.
Call me crazy but I like the simplicity. Oh by the way I use a Preditor IV.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:44 PM

Why would you not want to measure the exact distance of the shot?
You measure strait out because gravity only effects the arrow on the horizontal plane, not the vertical.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:13 PM

I shoot a Mathews Z Max set at 70#. I have a pendulum sight and I love it. I' m good out to 45 yards whether in the tree on on the ground. I ' ve practiced from every position I can think of, and everything seems to stay the same. I like not having to worry about adjusting or looking for different pins. Works for me, find your own preference.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:42 PM

Have been using a keller for a few years now,and love it.Just go 12 ft. or more up,and just aim and shoot.Great site.

Joe
Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt in Pa its pretty steep angles . Noone I mean noone there will use a pedilum sight . Most of the bow hunters in the area use a one pin slideing sight , like a cosmic extreem . I myself like 2 pins one for 20 yards and one for thirty , and use a tilt compensating rangefinder . So to answer your question , at no time is a pendilum sight necesarry , IMO
Old 10-28-2003, 02:51 PM

RacHunter, sorry I didn' t get back to you, but Sitter answered the question.

Quick Reply: When does a pendulum sight become necessary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.