Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ironhead XP

Old 10-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ironhead XP

5-shot or any one else with any experience using the Rocky Mountain Ironhead XP' s? I have shot to does in the last two days, both less then 25 yards and good solid broad side hits. Both have fell dead in their tracks less then 60 yards away. The only problem (maybe a bad choice of words) is that I have yet to get complete pass thru. I have had both arrows completely enter the deer but not pass all the way through, leaving about 8 - 10" in the deer. The carbons and broadheads are getting damaged and costly. I am shooting a LX set at 27" and 63 lbs, 253 fps with a 384 gr arrow. It is generating 55 ft of KE. Any comments or opinions? I know shoot Fixed blades. Anything other then that?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ironhead XP

The Ironhead Xp' s are a great head, and I actualy found them to penetrate as well as most fixed blade heads, at least in my tests. can' t say why your not getting pass throughs, but it would seem the heads are working well for you.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM

sounds like your lack of penetration may be coming from a poorly tuned bow. This will often cause any arrow shaft no matter the broadhead style to penetrate bad.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

The bow shoots bullet holes through paper, the groups are great, keeps cutting the fletching off my practice arrows. I ordered some replacement blades to see if I got a bad batch of blades. Anything else I should look at? Thanks for the feed back.