Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

" lubing" your cable rod?

Old 10-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default " lubing" your cable rod?

Do you guys do this?

Recently I' ve been focusing on using back tension to hold me at full draw. Since doing this, I' ve noticed I' m getting a slight " clicking" sound as I settle in. I think because I' m pulling hard into the wall, my cable slide is moving just a tad farther back than it had before, into a part of the rod that it hasn' t slid across repeatedly. Looking at the rod, I can tell what part get' s normal slide travel and what parts don' t.

I' m thinking of trying to buff, polish or somehow " lube" the back end of the rod, to prevent this clicking. What do you guys recommend I use? I' d thought of string wax, but am leary of using anything that may interfere with the smooth sliding action, so I thought I best ask first...
Old 10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: " lubing" your cable rod?

My rocomendation would be to clean it very well with alcohol. Any kind of lube will make it somewhat sticky and attract dirt. Just clean it as best you can and have at it.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:20 PM

I agree. Clean it, but don' t lube it. It could start squeeling on you and that' s bad! I usually grab my cables and slide and vigorously move it back and forth on the rod when I get into my stand and that prevents it from squeeling when I draw it.

As far as a " clicking" sound goes, I' ve never heard the rod make that sound. I' m wondering, since you say you' re pulling much harder into the wall, if it' s not the limbs themselves making the noise.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Upon further review, it appears the sound is coming from the idler wheel area. It' s very hard to define, but when I started messing with the slide with my hands, it made a " click" , and I could tell it was from the upper limb area.

I' ve examined the limbs all over, can' t find any sign of hairline or any other type of cracking. Bushings appear fine, no wheel lean or anything visually out of the ordinary.

At full draw, when I look at the idler, it looks like the string is coming out against the left side of the wheel groove as opposed to straight down the groove. I don' t know if this is the cause of the sound or not. The bow is shooting lights out, repeatedly to the point of aim assuming I do my part.

I need to verify and fix the source of the noise. Any other ideas? I plan to call Diamond tomorrow. I' ll ask them about new ' 04 bows while I' m at it
Old 10-23-2003, 05:51 PM

After cleaning the guide rod and slide, lubricate them with powdered graphite. This will not gum up. This is what I have used for years on my bow. Graphite lubricant is used mainly on door locks since any oil based lubricant will eventually gum up. You can buy a little tube of it at a hardware store.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

IL Bow Man is spot on!
Old 10-24-2003, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Short of taking the bow apart and inspecting each component, I don' t have any ideas. Maybe just disassembling and reassembling it will remedy the issue. This is more of a " hands on" issue if I were to guess.

As for the rod....what about your typical car polish?
Old 10-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve tried lubing the cable guard and slide, back before I learned better. Just keep it clean. If the slide does start sticking, squeaking or chattering, and cleaning it doesn' t cure the problem, it' s time for a new slide.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think it isn' t the slide I' d say that because you are pulling so hard into the wall that you may be putting more stress on the limbs and the resulting noise is coming from the rocker under the limb. The only remedy for that is to remove the limb, clean the limb pocket and rocker and re-lube with a good quality grease--preferably with a silicon base.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:31 PM

i wouldn' t put any kind of lubricant on it , like il bowman said clean it with alcohol, the only other thing is put on a teflon cable slide.

Quick Reply: " lubing" your cable rod?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.