Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fastest bow at 50 pounds - Bowtech?

Old 10-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fastest bow at 50 pounds - Bowtech?

Corb,

I set up a 2003 Extreme VFT at 50 lbs. (it' s a 60 lb. model turned down) 28" draw at 80% let off.

I tested it with a brass nock and hush kit on the string using a 326.3 grain, 3-39 A/C/C arrow .

I shot 4 arrows and the speeds posted were 262 fps., 262 fps., 261 fps. and 262 fps.

Keep in mind, that turning the 60 lb. model down to 50 lbs. lost a little speed as did having the cam a little out of time from turning the poundage down and not re-timing the cam.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

Corb,

I set up a 2003 Extreme VFT at 50 lbs. (it' s a 60 lb. model turned down) 28" draw at 80% let off.

I tested it with a brass nock and hush kit on the string using a 326.3 grain, 3-39 A/C/C arrow .

I shot 4 arrows and the speeds posted were 262 fps., 262 fps., 261 fps. and 262 fps.

Keep in mind, that turning the 60 lb. model down to 50 lbs. lost a little speed as did having the cam a little out of time from turning the poundage down and not re-timing the cam.
Wow!

So I would set up the bow with a whisker biscuit and peep and lose a bit of speed but should still be at 250+ fps. This is good news Shooter. I really appreciate the time you took to do this.

So do you have any idea how much arrow weight affects the speed at this poundage? Would you be able to maybe change the broadhead weight by 25 grains and measure the speed difference? I don' t want to overstep my bounds nor take advantage of your goodwill. But the ratio of fps/gr will complete the picture for the ExVFT.

Either way, based upon your testing, I will be going to my Bowtech dealer to test drive this bow and see how the bow draws and feels. I' m sure I can get them to setup the bow with a WB and peep and can bring my chronograph.

Thanks again! As I mentioned earlier, I wish the manufacturers would forget about a single point reference (IBO speed) and provide these real world numbers.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Corb,

Actually, all of my lighter weight arrows all have glue in nibbs.

I' ve got some things to do but, if you don' t mind waiting a little bit, I' ll see if I can find a 100 grain point or a half out insert for my A/C/C' s and put a little bit heavier point in it instead of the 70 grain that' s in it now.

Regards, Pat

Old 10-25-2003, 12:24 AM

Corb, you mentioned in an eariler post the Tec 29, which is what my wife hunts with and won' t give it up for anything!!! It does 254 fps at 54 pounds and 26 inch draw with a 339 grain arrow. The Tec 29 has a 6.5 inch brace and the Infinity cam has an adjustable 65 to 80 percent letoff. I' d guess you would pick up 20 fps with your 28 inch draw but maybe loose 20 fps by going down to 45 pounds which would put you right at the 254 fps and maybe 264 if you could pull 50 pounds. There might be some ' 03 Tec 29' s around for a good deal. My wife shoots hers very well[]
Old 10-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Sir the Newberry SB1 i can gaurantee you 260+ @50 28" and I do have 80% let off with a super smooth cam and a solid wall

Old 10-25-2003, 09:17 PM

I went to a local dealer to check out the bows everyone here has mentioned. He did not have much left in stock and didn' t seem too willling to setup the Bowtech Patriot he had. He no longer has a chronograph because he doesn' t believe in them.

So, I went to a dealer about 45 minutes from my house, he had an Extreme VFT with a 28" draw at 60lbs as well as a Mightly Mite and Patriot. The draw on he Patriot and Extreme seemed to be almost identical. The Mighty Mite was much harsher. I asked him to setup the Extreme VFT.

He dropped the weight to 50lbs and put a 2 prong rest on the bow. The bow had the Bowtech string silencers on as well as the vibrablocks plus one nock on the string. I fired my 334 grain arrows through it and got 266 fps. For the heck of it we changed the 100gr tip to a 75gr and got 276 fps. His chronograph was just calibrated and I also verified that his chrono matches the speed I got from my digital chrono with the 334gr arrow on the Firestorm Lite.

So it IS possible for a light poundage shooter at 80% letoff to some get some decent arrow speeds.

I did not get to check out Parker or Darton or others. It' s ok. The ExVFT feels great to me. The shock/jump from this bow is negligible - very smooth feel after release. Much nicer than the FSLite. Less torque, nicer grip, better balance, more stable sight picture. I know some of this is due to the axle length, but still, a nicer shooting bow than what I have. The draw curve is a bit hard and not nearly as smooth as the FSLite but the feel at full draw is great and something I can handle just fine. I may even be able to drop the weight down to 45 lbs and still get 250fps with 334 gr arrows.

I will have him order the bow for me Monday. He said it will take at least 10 days from Bowtech. I hope Bowtech is not too backed up and can get it out earlier so I can use it this season.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for all your help and advice. I will let you know what happens with the bow I get.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:33 AM

Glad to hear you' ve found something you like Good luck with your new toy!!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 10:37 AM

Forgot to ask, are you going to order a 50 pound max model? I wouldn' t recomend turing down a 60 pound max bow to 45, you will loose effiency and have problems with the limbs in the limb pockets. BowTech dosen' t recomend turning the limb bolts out more than 2 1/2 turns from max.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corb,

Glad to hear the ExVFT lived up to your expectations. TheExVFT will definitely sling an arrow!

I would second WWAG' s suggestion to grab a 50 pound peak weight model. The bow will be a little quieter, more vibe/recoil free, and will likely be several FPS faster too!

Old 10-26-2003, 03:19 PM

WWAG, JeffB,

Already got that covered guys, I am getting a 50# max peak weight model

Quick Reply: Fastest bow at 50 pounds - Bowtech?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.