Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Helical vs Offset...Tuning Question

Old 10-30-2003, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Helical vs Offset...Tuning Question

Again, some may be close, some not. Depends on what you call " correct" as far as tuning goes. I have seen many broadhead designs that impact over 2" away from comparable-weight fieldtips when tuned correctly. (shooting them out of a machine to acheive the same bullethole at 20 yds to me is " correctly tuned" --it simply doesn' t get any better or groups any tighter than that)

As stated, if you tune to shooting arrow after arrow into the same hole at 20yds, that is perfect IMHO. And one normally cannot hit the same hole with a differing configuration without moving/adjusting something, (which is my overall point) because then when they go back and shoot the previous arrow, it will not go into the same hole either without " re-adjustment" , and therefore to me tuning for one or the other or both will be " off" , not perfect. That is why I tune to their individual applications and not run them all together. JMHO. Pinwheel 12
Old 10-30-2003, 11:10 AM

(shooting them out of a machine to acheive the same bullethole at 20 yds to me is " correctly tuned" --it simply doesn' t get any better or groups any tighter than that)
I have no experience shooting out of a machine, but I would expect the machine to put the arrow into the same hole repeatedly, even if the tune was off a bit. As long as everything occurs the same with each arrow, it should fly to the same wrong spot, shouldn' t it?

I do agree that the broadhead tipped arrows and field tipped arrows will most likely fly to different spots, just not a radically different spot. I see guys having trouble with their fixed blade broadheads, all the time. However, I seldom see a person tune for proper spine, or turn nocks to get best flight. It seems like most group tune, pay little attention to FOC, and just claim the broadheads don' t fly well. Like I said, maybe I' ve just been lucky, but I' ve always been able to get good groups from my broadheads, that impacted very near my field tip groups.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

as long as everything occurs the same with each arrow, it should fly to the same spot, shouldn' t it?

No, because the arrows are not of the same configuration, therefore will not hit the same impact spot if shot out of the same machine after one or the other is tuned to perfection. If you adjust from perfect to acheive a happy medium for both, then they will not hit the same hole as either of the previous arrows did when they were tuned to perfection, even tho they may be able to be both tuned to be " close" , as you stated above. Personally, as I also stated, I don' t see any need to even bother trying to get them to fly both " close" to the same anyway, especially if (in theory at least) that by doing so neither setups are then at their optimum, not to mention that most of us who shoot broadheads during hunting season do not shoot fieldpoints out of the same setup during the season. So to me it just seems unnecessary, especially when you can quickly get one or the other to it' s optimum tune from the other in virtually a matter of minutes. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel,

I think what SA was saying was (hope I am not incorrect here SA) that since the machine was shooting with completely reroduceable form etc., that it could conceivably shoot arrows into the same hole repeadtedly, even if was the " wrong hole" or that there might even conceivably be several configurations in which the machine would be capable of placing arrows in the same hole repeatedly.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:27 PM

Yes, I' m definitely not communicating well. [&:]

I thought you were referring to all field tips hitting the same hole, if the tune was perfect. I didn' t know you were comparing the tune on a field tip vs a broadhead. I agree that they won' t fly to the same hole, but I would expect it to be close with the right spine, tune, nock position, etc.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

SA-

Nah, it' s probably me, going at the speed of light in a million different directions, and trying to play on the boards at the same time.[][&:]

How' s this--

I agree. [8D] Pinwheel 12
Old 10-31-2003, 05:25 AM

I agree. Pinwheel 12
LOL, 20 posts later, and we didn' t get anywhere.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:45 PM

Sorry guys but I disagree. I am shooting a Right Helical(which by the way, is recommended to prevent broadhead planing) and I can get 2" groups of 4 arrows at 30 yds. and I can repeat with the same with Broadheads.

I experimented several things this year. 1st dozen arrows bought had right offset 4" vanes. Broadheads tuned to within 1" of fieldpoint points of contact at 20 yds. After shooting around 1000 shots and arrows going through targets and being hit by other arrows, most needed refletching, so I went to 4" RT helical Feathers. Sights were off left about 3" at 20 yds. I split the knock of one arrow with another and then robin-hooded two. So I picked up another 1/2 dozen arrows. At this time, I didn' t pay attention to the fletching because I refletch my own. These were 4" vanes with an left offset or 2 degree left helical no more. With fieldpoints they flew just as the others, but, with broadheads they were dropping 8" at 20 yds. No left and right movment, just down.

I refletched all of my arrows to have a 4" right helicial feathers and now my broadheads and fieldpoints are hitting the same holes all the way out to 50 yds. I am shooting a 6 degree helical. I have robin-hooded an arrow at 18 yds with fieldtips and have cut fletchings off of others from 25 yds with broadheads.

The arrows are Easton Carbon Evolution 400' s 26 1/2" . 100 gr Thunderheads or 100 gr fieldpoints. Bodoodle 3 prong rest.(takes some tuning to get the correct vane clearance). All on a 2003 Hoyt RazorTec at around 260fps.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If vane or feather clearance is not a problem, then helical fletch should help open blade broadheads shoot more consistently. I have had some setups that shot well with just offset, most often with a shoot-through rest that wouldn' t allow good clearance with helical fletch. Many guys claim to be able to tune well enough that it doesn' t matter. IMO, if you have no clearance issues, then helical can' t be a bad thing. I just got a left helical clamp for my Bitzenburger jig, and some AAE Speedflyte vanes. I am currently pleased with my broadhead accuracy, but it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement, especially with my backup bows.