Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

First time target practice shooting

Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Spike

But your not answer any of my questions. I know I don't know a lot. That is why I am asking questions!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by FirefightersWife
So today was my first time actually shooting my bow, I have a couple of different question and just need some help. I have had my bow set up now to fit me and we think it's set to 35-39 lbs. I haven't had the chance to take my bow to someone to to have it professional fit to me, but my husband an a hunting buddy of his fixed it for me so I can start practicing(any kind of store that could adjust my bow is about an hour away from us so it makes it harder to get it correctly adjusted.) I set up a make shift target(foam cushions, about 6" thick) for the day about 20 yards from where I was shooting. I am shooting to the left. I use my sights but I'm still shooting to the left. Will I get better just practicing or am I doing something wrong? What's the best way to fix shooting to far to one side?
If you are using sights and are right handed and shooting to the left extending the sight pins out to the left will move the point of impact right. If your sight pins are adjustable move them opposite the direction you want the arrow to go in small increments until you get the results you are looking for.
In addition the arrow rest might be improperly aligned and actually launching the arrow left rather than straight off the string. Your shooting form could also be responsible for the arrow falling off to the left particularly if you are struggling with the weight. Having someone who knows what they are doing helping you in person would be the best way to get better. Good luck
Old 08-25-2016, 04:27 PM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
If you are using sights and are right handed and shooting to the left extending the sight pins out to the left will move the point of impact right. If your sight pins are adjustable move them opposite the direction you want the arrow to go in small increments until you get the results you are looking for.
In addition the arrow rest might be improperly aligned and actually launching the arrow left rather than straight off the string. Your shooting form could also be responsible for the arrow falling off to the left particularly if you are struggling with the weight. Having someone who knows what they are doing helping you in person would be the best way to get better. Good luck
Thank you so much. You've been the most help. I watched some videos about how to stand and that helped. I stand with my legs shoulder width apart, perpendicular to my target, I estimated about 20 yards away to shoot from. I'm in my front yard, its the only place I have that's open enough and big enough to shoot without having to worry about missing my target and shooting my arrows off into the woods or hitting something I wouldn't want to hit. My husband and his buddy adjusted my bow to fit me until I can get to a hunting shop to have them adjust it more. They also helped me with my stance, they had me pull back my bow and had me hold that position and helped my stance that way too. The weight is better now that they adjusted it and put other cams on my bow. I hadn't ever adjusted it myself because I didn't know how and I didn't want to take it somewhere yet because I was unable to pull my bow back even just at 19lbs, until recently, now I can pull it back at what they think is 35-38lbs(they added more weight but we don't have a scale to accurately see what they set it to). I know not to release my bow with out an arrow, so please dont lecture me about that. I haven't purchased a release yet but plan to. Today while practicing I found I'm most comfortable releasing while my right hand is at my chin, sorry for not using the right terms, but this was where I had the most accuracy hitting my target each time. I do need a new arrow rest, they have already told me that, but the one I have works for practicing, my husband gave me his stabilizer but we think I'll need another one but for now it helps vs when it didnt have it. They also mentioned getting another sight because they don't like the one that's on my bow along with another sight that goes actually on my bow string(I can't remember the proper name for it) I need several more things for my bow before I actual go hunting but like I stated I wanted to practice and learn what not to do and work at getting better. When we visit a store that can professional help me, I hope to have some money to purchase some other things I need to help improve my shooting. I will try adjusting my sight I have on my bow now and see if it helps until then. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The cams that were put on my bow cam with my bow. Along with the instructions on how to change them. There's nothing wrong with shooting a bow without a release, that's the shooters preference. I realize a bow is not a toy. Everything is set up right or they wouldnt have messed with it. Old-time didn't answer any of my questions, at all. The rest that I am using on my bow is the rest that came with it, my husband and his buddy just rather me have a different one because they dont like it. Everything on my bow is meant for my bow, there not idiots and won't do something to my bow unless they knew what to do correctly. They wouldnt have let me shot if it wasnt safe. I was only asking for pointer as I am learning to shot. I have been taught how to and given tips today I was just applying what I learned to shooting an actual arrow to see how well I could do with what ive learned, I was shooting to the left and therefore I asked other hunters help. But no worries today's experience on this site has discouraged me from ever asking anything else on this site due to the fact I can't get an answer from no one just information I already know. I release I need to go get a sport shop to look at my bow but why would my bow come with instructions how to work everything and change every if they didn't want you doing it yourself. My husband and buddy know what they are doing, I simply was trying to see if I could gain more knowledge from other hunters while my husband was at work.

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I am being very safe and I am doing a lot better then thought I would. And until I can pull back and shoot my bow at least 50 lbs I can't go hunting anyhow. Like I stated I AM JUST PRACTICING!

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am being very safe and I am doing a lot better then thought I would. And until I can pull back and shoot my bow at least 50 lbs I can't go hunting anyhow. Like I stated I AM JUST PRACTICING!

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Spike

These two men, both know exactly what they are doing. I'm sorry that was not stated. I understand everything you are saying. You clearly do not understand what I am saying. Have a nice night. My bow is fit with the correct parts being they can with my bow. These men who fixed my bow know what they're doing and when I go to a shorts shop to get someone to look at it they probably won't have to fix much other then adding more weight.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

These two men, both know exactly what they are doing. I'm sorry that was not stated. I understand everything you are saying. You clearly do not understand what I am saying. Have a nice night. My bow is fit with the correct parts being they can with my bow. These men who fixed my bow know what they're doing and when I go to a shorts shop to get someone to look at it they probably won't have to fix much other then adding more weight.

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay boys. Lets try to be a little nicer to the lady. FFW, what OT and Topper have said has merit even if delivered a bit rudely. Topper pointed out something that I do stress religiously to all the new people I teach (I've taught archery for over 50 years) and that is to NEVER shoot alone when you are brand spanking new. You need someone that knows what they are doing beside you to watch your form and let you know the mistakes you make (and unless you are a prodigy you WILL make them) and help you learn. There is also the safety aspect. What if you break a limb and get slapped in the eye? Been there done that and if someone hadn't been around, my blood blinded rear wouldn't have been able to see to drive to the Hospital for my 13 stitches!

Now, you are shooting fingers release and not with a release aid. And no ma'am that is NOT always left for "shooters choice". Your bow length determines weather or not you can use fingers because of the string angle at the hold point. If the bow is too short for fingers release you will have all kinds of problems. Typically under 36 inches axle to axle is pretty dang hard for fingers shooters. You also kept mentioning taking it to the shop to "add weight"? If your husband and his friend can change the cams and restring the bow then they can EASILY add weight since all that is is turning the limb screws in.

Champlain Islander gave you some helpful information as well. Here's a little helpful hint, noch an arrow, take your bow into your left hand and hold the front downwards a bit. Now take and adjust your hand so when you look at the string, it is directly in the middle of the limbs. When you have it where the string is directly in the middle, look at the arrow on the rest. If the front of the arrow is kicking out a good bit then you have to adjust your rest in or out (depending on which direction it is out). It could be you just need to adjust your rest a bit. It could be your sights are off, it could be you're torquing the bow and not using an open hand hold, it could be any number of things that absolutely no one could answer without seeing the bow and you shooting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.