Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Aluminum Shafts ?

Old 10-18-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Aluminum Shafts ?

You know how guys started thinking differantly about thier old aluminum shafts,AFTER Gold Tip released that slow mo of the carbon and aluminum comparison.Everybody was too sure that aluminums flexed WAY TOO MUCH to be considered a good arrow.All that vibration going on " in flight" and after impact.
After watching that tape a half dozen times I could' nt help but think," how am I getting a bullet hole through paper with these things" ,,???.
That slow mo makes it look like an aluminum arrow could only rip a hole the size of a GOLF BALL,,nothing smaller.
What do you guys think ???.....The reason I ask,,I' m thinking of going BACK to them after this years season is over.I don' t think I' m a carbon guy.I tryied switching to a Wisker B with carbons this year,because EVERYBODY else is,,,but,,I don' t seem to be as consistant out of my tree stand,as I was.On the level ground I' m shooting good,but up in my stand,,where it REALLY counts,,I' m not getting what I wan' t.Yes,,it could be me,but I don' t have the time to fiddle with it,,so I' m thinking back to the aluminum logs.I know I sure won' t miss pulling those Bemans out of my Mckenzies.Even with a gorila gripper I almost ripped my deltiods from the bone.DAMN !!!!.
I' m thinkin,,next season,,new bow and some " old school" projectiles.A real hard hitter,like 2219' s with feathers.Slow and in CONTROL.Great for those" buck fever" shakein in my boots,,punchin the trigger shots
Old 10-18-2003, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Aluminum Shafts ?

I' ve gone back to my old and trusted 2315' s for hunting this year! After some lenghty shooting and compairing groups with my Muzzys, there is no question that my set up likes the 2315' s better!!! I know that they are about 20 fps slower but my sight marks are still very close on my Easy Slide single pin sight. At 254 fps, they still look very fast but the main thing is that they are super accurate with consistency from arrow to arrow. Look out deer!!!
Old 10-19-2003, 02:50 AM

I LIKE EASTEN CARBAN ARROWS.55/75
Old 10-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

I am still sticking to my 2117 on my huntingbow but i was thinking in switching to carbons. You made me starting thinking again, Drop-T.
For sure there is no need to increase speed or anything but i found out trough my 3D setup, carbons are more easy to tune in on the bow' s setup.
Another thing i expected on carbon vs alu was the slimmer diameter which i was to believe, made shoot troughs easyer. Am i wrong in this?
Extra arrow weight is ofcourse also helping in this.......
Hmmm.........I dont know..
For sure i came up with another topic now.
Good luck!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Droptines, I' ve watched that video more than a few times myself. It' s impressive at first glance. But after thinking about it for a bit...

I' ve watched several other slo-mo videos over the years too, and that one shows more arrow flex than any others I' ve ever seen. Of course the video' s sole purpose is to SELL GoldTip arrows. To do that, it has to show aluminum at it' s worst and GoldTip at it' s best. So. You ever think that maybe the aluminum arrow they use in that video might just be somewhat underspined and the rest set a tad offcenter and the nockset just a smidge too high, while the carbon arrow might/maybe/possibly be just a tad stiff and shot from a well tuned bow?

Would a company do such a thing for advertising?? [] And if they did, would they admit doing it?[>:]

Old 10-20-2003, 09:23 PM

I tried the goldtips before season and had nothing but problems getting them tuned in to my setup. I posted a message and got many useful replies going both ways. I went back to my aluminums and was shooting great. Went and ordered another dozen and actually went to a little heavier aluminum and have never shot better in my life!!! I was shooting the goldtip 55/75 then went back to my trusty old 2413 xx75 and now am shooting the 2315 xx75 both having the uni nock. I figure I will stick with what is working for me and by going with the aluminums I will save a pile of money in the long run.

Good luck!!
Old 10-20-2003, 09:59 PM

i though about finally switching to carbon , but after some considerable thought i decide aluminum has always worked for me and " if it ain' t broke don' t fix it"
Old 10-21-2003, 03:30 AM

I' m not too sure about saveing any money going back to aluminums...A dozen Super Slam Selects runs about $85.00,,from my dealer.For a while,,they said I was the only one STILL buying aluminums.One of the main reasons I went to carbons was because I did' nt have to worry every time I bump them in the woods.
BUT,,come to think of it,,I can' t ever remember bumping and BENDING one of my Super Slams[]
I think,there for I think TOO MUCH !!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a dozen ACC arrows that I get from my dealer at a good price.

Still, one of the things on my to do list is to try a half dozen 2216s to see how they do. I can shoot 28" arrows now that I have switched over to the WB rest, so they won' t be all that heavy or slow.

Sold my straightener though, replacing it will add to the cost of a new set of arrows.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:05 PM

WB and aluminums = SQUEEEEEKKKKK[X(]

Quick Reply: Aluminum Shafts ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.