Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowhunting Fixed Pin Sight

Old 01-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting Fixed Pin Sight

Getting overwhelmed on my internet search, hoping maybe you guys can point me somewhere.

Looking for a sight for my new Halon 6. Ideally will be:

3 fixed pins
Bigger housing (2"+)
Durable/Rugged (Steel/Aluminum construction for hunting)
Easily adjustable

I'm not a target shooter, this will be a 40 yard treestand whitetail hunting bow. Cost is not a MAJOR concern, though it seems hard to justify more than $150 or so for this use.

Can you point me to something I can find new now that will make me happy?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what you mean by a "fixed pin" sight but you will have to move the pin or pins to sight the bow in for the range or ranges you are going to shoot, the sights don't come set for specific ranges so you will have to shoot at the various ranges and move the sight until the bow is shooting where you want it to shoot, since you say you will only be shooting out to 40 yards you will need a pin set for that distance and a couple of closer distances. Your best bet is to go to an archery shop and look at the different pin sets they have available. One more thing, if you are hunting from a stand, sight the bow in from the stand, you can get it close on the ground but fine tune it from the stand.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-14-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I don't know what you mean by a "fixed pin" sight but you will have to move the pin or pins to sight the bow in for the range or ranges you are going to shoot, the sights don't come set for specific ranges so you will have to shoot at the various ranges and move the sight until the bow is shooting where you want it to shoot, since you say you will only be shooting out to 40 yards you will need a pin set for that distance and a couple of closer distances. Your best bet is to go to an archery shop and look at the different pin sets they have available. One more thing, if you are hunting from a stand, sight the bow in from the stand, you can get it close on the ground but fine tune it from the stand.
Fixed pin is opposed to a single pin where you set yardage marks on the sight and move the pin to those marks for different yardages.

I just use a simple tool-less truglo Tru-Site Xtreme

Last edited by rockport; 01-14-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

The word "fixed" didn't make sense to me. When I was archery hunting I used a pin set up where I turned the sight pins counter clock wise to loosen them and move them up or down then turned them the opposite way to tighten and set them, they also moved left and right. I guess I have been out of it too long, new terms and equipment.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

The word "fixed" didn't make sense to me. When I was archery hunting I used a pin set up where I turned the sight pins counter clock wise to loosen them and move them up or down then turned them the opposite way to tighten and set them, they also moved left and right. The sight came with 5 pins I only used 3. I guess I have been out of it too long, new terms and equipment.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe what you describe is what he means by fixed. Once its sighted in its fixed.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the TruGlo Extreme sights. The fiber optics are small in diameter but extremely bright even at last legal shooting light. They are well made, solid and won't break your wallet.
This is another nice sight from them: http://www.cabelas.com/product/trugl...truglo+extreme