Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ram cat broad heads?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you busting the ferrules or something? They have replacement blades. I have a few slick tricks with going on the 4rth set of blades. Hell of a lot cheaper than 31 bucks for 3!
http://www.amazon.com/NAP-Nightmare-Broadhead-Replacement-Blades/dp/B009L56F1S http://www.amazon.com/NAP-Nightmare-Broadhead-Replacement-Blades/dp/B009L56F1S
Old 09-23-2015, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Are you busting the ferrules or something? They have replacement blades. I have a few slick tricks with going on the 4rth set of blades. Hell of a lot cheaper than 31 bucks for 3! http://www.amazon.com/NAP-Nightmare-.../dp/B009L56F1S
No, I have a pile of them and a bunch of replacement blades. Once they are all used I will go through and replace all the blades and start over.

The thunderhead razor, thunderhead edge, and nightmare blades all interchange.

Muzzy makes an offset head now as well(trocar). I'll probably give those a look. I'm pretty much sold on the off set concept.

Last edited by rockport; 09-23-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rockport
Do yourself a favor and try the thunderhead razors. The ones superhunt mention fly better than most as well but not quite as good as the thunderhead razors from my experience.
While a well tuned bow will shoot ANY broadhead with great accuracy so long as the broadhead is aligned with the shaft (That will kill any accurate flight) I disagree with you. All the Slick Trick Broadheads I've ever shot (Standard, Razor Trick, and currently the Viper Trick) shot with supreme accuracy. There is absolutely no way that the Thunderhead could fly better. The same I could possibly agree with. But not better.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
While a well tuned bow will shoot ANY broadhead with great accuracy so long as the broadhead is aligned with the shaft (That will kill any accurate flight) I disagree with you. All the Slick Trick Broadheads I've ever shot (Standard, Razor Trick, and currently the Viper Trick) shot with supreme accuracy. There is absolutely no way that the Thunderhead could fly better. The same I could possibly agree with. But not better.
That is from my experience. You may have different results.

I have found that when I am helping people get their broadheads shooting right that the slick tricks(other than grizztricks) are great and the thunderhead razors or "nightmares" are even better. Better might not even be the right word as both broadheads are great. I should probably say even more forgiving. The Montecs shoot really good as well.

All 3 of those are really good heads and if for some reason I couldn't find the thunderheads I would not hesitate to use either of the other 2 with no concerns.

Last edited by rockport; 09-28-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly fail to see where a broadhead can fly better than a trick. A long re-curve bow can be mighty unforgiving. Hard to "tune" one of them. So you have to "tune" your arrow setups instead. Had a few bows that, while rare and pretty much insignificant, had one limb just a weeeeeee bit faster than the other. That'll create some tail happy arrows. Had to get creative with my noch point as well as my FOC point to make those puppies nail drivers. But I have never had an issue dialing in a trick broadhead. They have always flew dead on with my field tips.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly fail to see where a broadhead can fly better than a trick. A long re-curve bow can be mighty unforgiving. Hard to "tune" one of them. So you have to "tune" your arrow setups instead. Had a few bows that, while rare and pretty much insignificant, had one limb just a weeeeeee bit faster than the other. That'll create some tail happy arrows. Had to get creative with my noch point as well as my FOC point to make those puppies nail drivers. But I have never had an issue dialing in a trick broadhead. They have always flew dead on with my field tips.
Ive seen plenty of bows so out of tune not even a slick trick would fly with field points. Here is what happens to be more specific.

I tell people you have to practice with broadheads. They ask why etc. etc. you know how that conversation goes. When I finally convince them you have to shoot your broadheads before going hunting they are often way off. Before I mess with anything I say "here try these broadheads". Most of the time both the slick tricks and the thunderhead razors fly with there field points but on the rare occasion that one does and the other don't it is usually the razor that does although on very rare occasion I have seen it the other way around..

On my setup I feel like the razor is even more forgiving than my field points. I shoot helical blazer fletching and slick tricks fly just like my field points and the razors group better than both.

90% of the time these people were originally shooting muzzy. The most common scenario is people shooting muzzy broadheads out of an old bow that shoots 220 FPS with no problems then they buy a new bow that shoots 280 fps or faster and have problems.

Last edited by rockport; 09-29-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well tomorrow is opening day and here is what is going in the quiver. Ignore the chips..I keep one of each in there to shoot targets and make sure all is still good.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Ive now witnessed them in action and I am impressed.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
Ive now witnessed them in action and I am impressed.
Perfect shot or did they have to earn it?

Last edited by rockport; 10-07-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Spike

If it's a true flying head you want that will drop deer as long as you do your part, you wont go wrong with G5 Montechs or Slick Trick standards. I exclusively use them both and have never had either one fail to put a deer or elk down as long as I did my part. They fly consistently with my field tips as long as my bow is tuned in perfectly.
I really like the G5 Strikers, they seem to fly like a field point.