Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which bow for back up??

Old 10-12-2003, 07:53 AM
Spike

Default Which bow for back up??

I have always been a finger shooter and the past two seasons I took 14 deer with a Reflex Caribou[65lbs 525 gr arrow 197fps 45 ft lbs KE shooting fingers]. I do not always get pass thrus with this set up so I went to a Hoyt Ultratec[65lbs 430 gr arrow 265fps 67 ft lbs KE using a release] . After using the Hoyt I have had four shots all pass thrus and all deer recovered quick. Needless to say I am hooked on the speed and the release . Lets face it a quick humane kill SHOULD be what we are all after. I am going to sell the Reflex Caribou ans buy another bow as I like to shoot year around in the back yard and I take my hunting real serious and always keep a back up bow. Heard of a fellow who damaged his bow on an out of state trip and had to set out a week once so I don' t take chances. I was looking at the Mathews Icon before buying the Ultratec and was wanting to stay in the 37-38 inch a to a . Don' t get me wrong the Ultratec does everything I want it to do but I don' t have my head in the sand so far as to believe they are the only people who make good bows. I don' t want to get into the Ford/Chevy thing either HAHA. Any ideas on another buy around 37 inches??
Old 10-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which bow for back up??

Lotsa choices really..

Bowtech Pro 40 (38" ) Infinitycam or Dual cam. Bowtech Pro 38(36.5" ) Infinity cam. Mathews Q2XL or Icon. Hoyt Ultra & ProTec.. PSE Primos STL...etc.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many times words don' t come out sounding the way they are meant, and I' m sure this is the case here, but I do take exception to your implication that anyone shooting a rig like your Caribou is NOT after a quick, humane kill. That' s an insult to every traditional shooter or short draw archer that' s not able to get a heap of steam into an arrow.

But enough of that.

For a backup bow, I wouldn' t get too far away from your main bow. Different grips and different format designs don' t shoot quite the same and you won' t be spending as much time shooting the backup as you do your main bow. So, keeping both bows as close as possible in design and setup so you are familiar with both their shooting qualities is very important, IMO.

I' m a tightwad, and I don' t like spending a whopping amount of cash for a bow I don' t intend to shoot very often. If I were to get a backup bow, grip style similar to an UltraTec and keep some kind of consistency to what you' re used to, I' d look hard at the Reflex Gamegetter. 39" axle to axle, 7" brace and you can get one for a shade over $200. It doesn' t have all the bells and whistles of the UltraTec or any of the other high end bows, but it is plenty bow to save a hunt in a pinch.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 AM

why don' t you just keep the caribou as a back up ???

Old 10-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Spike

Aurther P, I apologize!!! I did not mean anything against anybody . I only meant what I said for me. I had a couple less than favorable shots with my Caribou. I get very excited when I see a deer I want to take and I have taken a couple of shots that were quartering away and if my arrow had more power I believe I would have taken these deer. With my new setup I am much more accurate and can put the arrow where I want it. I am not saying a Traditional archer is not a HUMANE hunter but only speaking for MY abilities. And as you said words printed here are VERY VERY VERY often taken the wrong way and if we were sitting here talking one on one things would be conveyed and received differently. I have probably taken more deer with a bow than the majority of the people reading these words. I only want a deer that I shoot at to be hanging on my meat pole and not laying in the woods. There is not much of a worse night for me than when I have put and arrow in a deer and not found it. I respect your opinions as when I see where you reply to something I read it!!! Hope you do not hold anything against me!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Holding nothing against you at all, Beeg!

I knew you probably didn' t mean it the way it sounded. Lord knows plenty of stuff I' ve said on the forums has been turned upside down by different folks' interpretations. I just thought it best to point it out so you could explain what you meant before somebody took it seriously and the whole thing got out of hand.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

I am going to agree whole heartedly with Arthur P on this subject. (not that i have disagreed with anything i have seen on these forums). But as a backup bow it needs to mimic your number 1 bow as close as possible.
Dont forget to practice with both.