Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Completly Baffled

Old 10-12-2003, 01:26 AM

Default Completly Baffled

I purchased a new NAP Quicktune 750 rest last weekend to replace my launcher style rest with broke. So I decided to have this rest tuned as well as my entire bow since I was having broadhead flight issues. After 4 paper-tune shots from approx 4' the arrows were creating bullet holes, and I thought my problem solved. Today while re-sighting I found new issues. My arrow flight was eratic, and not consistent. I would get 3 out of every 6 shots to group. I would shoot 3 at 20 yds and have them all on top of each other, make the proper sighting adjustment, then reshoot to quick and have them fly off in 3 different directions. Every arrow is nocked the same, same length, weighted point. My drawing, stance, anchoring, release, even the way to nock the arrow is the exact same every single time. After shooting 5 rounds I decided to give the broadheads a try. 1 out of every 6 will fly correctly, and they would perform in the same manner as the field points. One would fly high, another low and to the left, and the third high and to the right. I checked every single one for wobble, vane/blade alignment, nocking alignment all the same. I had better consistency with a un-tuned bow. I shoot 100gr broadhead, with Easton 45/60 carbon Explorers. I draw only 52 lbs, with a length of 27.5" , my arrows are measured at 28" . What am I overlooking?
Old 10-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Completly Baffled

I hope i can be a little help. Sno. The paper tuning i allways kept to the last thing myself. First i do the left/right setup with a rubber band between the limbbolts. This is a tip I got from this board and its the golden trick for me. Than for the top/down position i used to start from a complete horizontal position, holding the bow 100% vertical in a clamp. Depends on either straitline cams or not i move it a little up or down. Than i take my gear and the hex wrenches out to try shots on two different distances as far from each other as is desired. (hunting 10 to 30, 3D 5 to 60 yrds). Springtension problems are solved within a couple shots each time. As a final check i try the paper shot. If not good (which seldom hapends) i start allover.
Another thing i would like to notify. I found out alot of archers use arrowrest that dont fit their arrowsize. I mean the part where the arrow rests on. Either to wide, small, not fitting carbon/alu... Did you think about that?
After 30 years of archery i still enjoy a perfect flying arrow. Its worth every minute i spend understanding how to.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:16 AM
Fork Horn

Oh, and maybe you should spay your arrow to find out if they come clear past the rest? Use dry-shampoo or chalkpowder. Thats what we did some 15 yrs ago to obtain clearance on our bows. I wonder who is still doing that...... But it might help............
Old 10-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The bow was shooting good yesterday but nothing worked right today. Been there, done that. Got the freakin' T-shirt.

Everyone has bad shooting days. Some days we' ve ' got it' and some days we don' t. Maybe your shooting just wasn' t up to par today. Trying to fight it and MAKE the bow shoot right when the problem is actually you having a bad day is nothing but an exercise in frustration. The harder we try, the worse it gets. Give it a rest and try again tomorrow. Then, if things still aren' t working out, you can start worrying about the setup.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

raymond, what tis the rubber band trick. can you elaborate on this for me? also, one thing that i found makes you shoot erattically is hand tork on the grip. make sure the grip is very loose as a too wristy action will cause you to sling arrows like a scattergun. may also try coming down on your poundage a little. maybe you shoot too much for your arrow spine. just thoughts.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:46 PM

I only grip with a ight pinch of my index finger and thumb. I' d hope that 52 lbs isn' t too much weight for a 45-60 lb arrow. I' m going to try again tomorrow and see. I' m hoping that there' s no problems because while I was at the pro shop on Friday I was told that there wasn' t much tuning they could do. Not somethign you want to here from a pro shop.