Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow rest clearance question

Old 01-07-2015, 03:33 AM
Spike

Default Arrow rest clearance question

I have been doing some reading and came across the APA twister rest. I like the rest all though I'm happy with the apache.

It states on the sight that it is compatible with roller cable guides. Is there only a select amount of rests that meet this qualification? Or is this something they say for sale purposes.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Those inventors sure are something

They invent arrow capture devices so you can more easily transfer the bow, with arrow, from the tree hanger to the hand.

Twenty some years ago, I had a fall back device, that you better hold on to the bow, or the arrow could go crashing to the ground on those prong rest devices.

And they sure charge for that new stuff they invent for the newbies.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply

That sounds like it'd be horrible. Having a nice buck in front of you only to bobble your arrow.

What could you tell me about arrow rests that are "roller guard compatible".
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a sales gimmick to me. I believe a roller guard is simply a means to hold the cables in place. Some bow models have a roller at the rear of the cable guard to allow the cables to 'roll' during draw and firing. Either with or without a roller the rest still has to be set in such a manner as to initiate good arrow flight (i.e.: set at center shot).
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not about functional compatibility, as in it won't or will WORK with a flex guard or roller guard, but some rests don't PHYSICALLY FIT in the limited space beneath roller/flex guard model bows.

It's not a terribly uncommon problem. Arguably the most popular arrow rest on the market went through an update process simply because they didn't fit with some roller/flex guards.

Some rests aren't compatible with bows with flexible or curved roller guards, for example - we have a QAD Ultra HD and HDX on the market for a reason. The near 90degree corner on the short radius arrow retaining arm on the HD doesn't work with certain bow models because it doesn't fit the physical space beneath the cable stay. The HDX has a curved arrow retainer such that it offers more clearance above the rest body.