Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single pin sights

Old 10-10-2003, 08:06 PM

Default Single pin sights

What is the deal with a single pin sight? Aren' t you limiting yourself to a single yardage? Say you have it set for 20 yards and a deer comes in at 10 15 or 30 yards, aren' t you guesstimating arrow placement? I like the simplicity of it, it just doesn' t seem very practical. I am looking for a sight (using a buddies Cobra now) and I like the look of the Impact Archery sights (with the wrapped fiber optic), but the multi pin sight doesn' t look adjustable. The single pin sights do have adjustments for different yardage, but you have to unlock the sight, move the pin and then lock it back down. I could see this would be a difficult proposition in the heat of the moment. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Single pin sights

What if the deer is at 5, 13, 17, and 25 or 35 yards?

How easily and quick; can you track a moving deer, continue to estimate the changing yardage, remember to keep moving to the correct pin. and also make a " Kentucky" adjustment if the deer is not at the exact yardage of your pins?

Most compound bows of today can do quite well with one pin. On my compound I sight one pin in at 25 and I am set for anything within the range I restrict my shots to.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:32 AM

That makes sense, in essence, you are using your best judgement on most shots anyway. I realize its not a perfect world and deer will not come in and stand on your pre-arranged yardage. So a single pin is probably the way to go, eliminating the possibility of using the " wrong pin" . I just bought a new bow that is rated for over 300fps although I chrono' d it at around 280 with a 430 grain arrow. The trajectory of the arrow is very flat out to 25 or 30 yards. My previous bow was much slower so I always used a multi-pin sight on it. I do not have alot of experience hunting deer or knowledge of bow technology so your input is greatly appreciated. I currently have two pins set, one at 20 one at 30. If I range a deer at 30 yards with a single pin set at 20 yards how high should I aim? Would it be safe to aim at the top of the spine for a lung shot? I would practice this shot before I took it, I am just curious what you would do?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:21 AM

Tibonty:

What I do is not what you must also do. You must find your own comfort zone and niche.

You need to practice with both methods to find what works best for you. Some shooters like the 1 pin, some shooters like the multiple pins. As for where do you aim when using 1 pin, that is something you must determine by shooting in. The " Kentucky" adjustment will differ from bow to bow and the shooter behind the string.

I personally find it much faster to get on 1 pin and lower or raise my POA accordingly. Even with my recurve that has pins, I use only 2 pins; 1 set at 15 and one set at 20. However, I only consider the pins to be reference points, and " Kentucky" adjust my POA accordingly.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:14 AM

Fair enough, I think I will try 1 pin with the Cobra on the target range and determine whether or not my abilities (Kentucky adjustments ) will allow for its use.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:50 AM

I use a single pin in the stand.

A Keller pendulum is very precise.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I use two pins on my bow. One is set for 10 yrds and the other for 30. Everything that fits between those two pins in a sure hit. So I guess its about the same a one pin. I use it more as a reference than a real aimingpoint.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

tibonty what bow do you have? and poundage?
Old 10-11-2003, 02:01 PM

If you' re pushing 280 FPS, you won' t have to change a thing in most hunting situations out to 30 yards. If you sight in one pin at 20 yards, you might shoot 2 inches low at 30 with the same pin. Depending on other factors, the drop from 20 to 30 could be around 1-3 inches or so, but it won' t be much. Practice a little with the one pin setup, you might like it.

peashooter
Old 10-11-2003, 04:35 PM

Jersey- I bought the LX. 30" draw set at 70+ lbs, the two pins I am using are only about an eighth of an inch apart now. Actually, you cannot move them together any closer. I do not forsee myself taking a shot outside of 30 yards.

What are the downsides of a pendulum sight, other than having moving parts?

Quick Reply: Single pin sights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.