Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single pin sights

Old 10-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single pin sights

I have one of the Cosmic Lite single " sliding" pin sights from Impact archery.

My bow is pushing close to 290 FPS, and I have my pin set at 25 yards. I' m only about an inch low at 30. I also have a " mark" where to set it for 45 yards, but I only practice at that distance. I prefer to keep my shots under 35 yards. At 35 I just have to hold a bit high to put one in the boiler room.

Even when I shot multiple pin sights, I only liked having 2 or 3 at most. I prefer using one..much less confusing in the woods when my nerves are shot. I see some guys with 4 to 6 pins, and I wonder how they ever choose the correct one at the heat of the moment. That would be too much brain overload for me...and it doesn' t take much
Old 10-11-2003, 07:52 PM

Ive shot a single pin for about 10 years now and at the present I have an Impact Cosmic, and its the best Ive seen yet. I have mine merked 20,30,40,50,60 but just for 3-D and practice. When Im hunting I set it at 25 and leave it, unless the deer is slow coming in, then I may move it to the exact yardage, but rarely do I have time for that. My AR is shooting about 276 and if I shoot 30 yards with my sight on 20 Im about 3 inches low, so at 25 Im set for any yardagethat Ill shoot while hunting.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:01 AM

Use 2 pins!!! Set one at 25 Yards and the other at 40 Yards!!! If the animal is 30 Yards or less use the top pin. If its over 30 Yards use the bottom pin. This will work on deer size game or larger out to 45yards, fifty on Elk. I use a single pin slider set at 25 yards. I had my buddy time me. I took an arrow from my quiver nocked it estimated the range to the target at 40 yards adjusted my slider to 40 yards and hit the Bullseye in 12 SECONDS!!!!!!!!! Without practising!!!!!!!!An arrow only drops 1 inch in 5 Yards dont believe it!!!! They dont have a bow they are shooting a RIFLE!!!!!!!!!A good rule of thumb is an arrow will drop 6 inches every 5 Yards. GOOD LUCK
Old 10-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

i use 2 pins. one set at 25 yards and the other at 40 yards. the 25 yard pin is used for any shot placed dead center of deer from 0-30 yards. if > 30 yards then use 40yard pin. very practical like the others mentioned.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tibonty..........You' re right......most shot you need to use judgment whether you have a single pin or 5 pins! With the fast bows of today, you are talking about very little judgment and alot of simplicity. My set-up is sighted in at 20 yards. From 0 to 20 yard its on ( maybe 1" high at 10) and at 30 yards about 3 1/2" to 4" low. You were close when you said aim at the top of the spine, I aim at the spine and trust me, it works. By the way, I limit my shots to 30 yards. I dopractice and shoot 3D up to 50 yards, for that I have marks at every 5 yard interval to 50. Simplicity is awsome when it comes to hunting.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2003, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also noticed several single pin shooters set it at 25. This might make good sense. I originally set it at 20 because thats were 95 % of my shots are. I' m going to experiment this winter with this. For 30 yards I can see no problems. Its the 10 yard shot I' m wondering about. I' ll have to see what my set-up does.

Lastly, you need to practice, just as always, to make the system work, but it doesn' t take long and you know exacktly where to aim!

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2003, 09:53 PM

I have the impact cosmic sight as well, and I am happy with it. You cannot appreciate it until you draw on a deer in low light and you see that bright single pin. Once you get used to allowing for whatever distance you have it set on, it is simple to use. I keep mine at 20 yards.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:54 AM

I have been watching e-bay for the Cosmic sights and they seem to be going for around 35-45 bucks. Me thinks I will bid on one!! My local pro-shop wants about 70 bucks for the model on e-bay, sometimes you just gotta cut out the middleman.... Cloud 9... Simplicity reigns Supreme!!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:36 AM

I got mine off ebay as well. One thing you should know....this sight has two lockdowns, making it quieter than most single pin sights, but impossible to adjust at full draw. If you are looking for one that you can adjust while shooting you might want to keep looking.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:00 AM

My wife andI both shoot Cobra Easy Slide single pin sights and have had very good luck with them for hunting and 3D shooting. The plastic scope body inside the aluminum scope housing needs to be " glued" in with silicone gasket sealer or it may produce some noise at the shot. Other than this, the sight has proven to be very durable. A couple of years ago, I noticed while shooting at game that my 3 pin fiber optic sight was " bluring " the pins togther under fading light conditions while I focused on the spot I wanted to hit. The pins were too bright and as close as they were set togther, they looked like one big pin. I leave mine set on 20 yards for tree stand hunting becauce of the likely possibility of a straight down shot. For me a single pin sight set for 20, 30 and 40 yards is the best for my hunting

Quick Reply: Single pin sights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.