Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

JeffB (or anyone), tell me about the Trap Door...

Old 10-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default JeffB (or anyone), tell me about the Trap Door...

Have you ever had problems with it? Does it drop to prevent contact at high FPS launches? Is the delron launcher quiet? How does it wear? Any problems with arrow falling off the launcher in hunting situations?

Give me both barrels, please
Old 10-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: JeffB (or anyone), tell me about the Trap Door...

I have the time for neither barrell currently my friend

I will post later this evening with a more worthy response

Old 10-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well... Ok... Just this once...

Got nothing better to do on a Friday night?

While you' re contemplating a response, I' d also be interested in hearing what you attribute the large number of negative posts about this rest to, specifically on archerytalk.com, such as " inconsistent drop" , " makes grinding noise" and " drops prematurely" type comments. Is buying one a hit or miss proposition? I read where Frank said he really liked his, which I believe you now have...

Their classifieds is infested with guys trying to get rid of them...
Old 10-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well... Ok... Just this once...
A Thousand Pardons my Liege

Got nothing better to do on a Friday night?
Lets see: I don' t drink. I have a 4 year old, bowhunting season hasn' t started yet, and my spine looks and feels like a pretzel right now. Nope. nothin better to do

As to your question and follow ups.

I am not fond of the 2001 (original) models at all. This is the style that Frank sent me (no offense Frank). They are much noisier and too sensitive.

I currently have a 2002 model. Honestly, I' ve never had a problem with it. It' s a bit louder than some rests, not as noisy as others:middle of the road.

I THOUGHT I had a problem with it a few months back and took it off my bow. It was not dropping at all.

A few weeks back I found myself looking for something to put on my Patriot as I' d transferred the NAP3000 to the DC40. I only had the Trapdoor. Again it did not drop. Long story short...the sensitivity screw had moved (likely from vibration), and that was the problem. I re-adjusted it , put a dab of glue on the screw and now it' s on my PAT SC w/ no problems so far just like before.

Since I have the 2002 model, I have the metal prong launchers which I use " Hard as nails" nail polish junk on. Very quiet. I have not played around w/a 2003 model. I have not experienced any " grinding" (?) at all. Perhaps this a problem exclusive to the 2003s, but I do not know.

Most guys I see using them set them way too light. This will cause those inopportune " premature" drops. I can shake the beejeesus out of my bow and it won' t drop. But, if I draw the string back a couple of inches and let go, PLOP, it works as it should. The " sweet spot" is very narrow, and takes some fiddling to get right.

I hate cable style drop-aways and so the TD is about my only option if I wish to go that route. I had high hopes for the GKF Powerdrop, but after fiddling with one at the shop I quickly dismissed it.

Next year, if something catches my eye I may try a different drop-away just to dabble and experiment some more. Otherwise , I will have a solid micro-adjust conventional design such as a Platinum Premier or Cavalier Sillhouette (I love the NAP3000, but find I cannot get a light enough spring tension for some setups).

Old 10-10-2003, 07:13 PM

I put a 2003 LR model on my LX about a month ago. So far so good. It has a plastic-like launcher arm that is very quiet when drawing a carbon across it. Sensitivity is adjustable depending on speed/bow weight. I have to admit that there is a little noise as the arm comes to rest from dropping. Setting the rest all the way back kept the arm from contacting the riser which helped with noise a little. There is still a little internal noise, but not bad.

Overall, I think the rest is pretty decent. I' ll let you know how it stands up in the long run.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:46 PM

I have the 2003 LR Trap Door on my LX and had one on my Legacy last year. Have had no problems with either.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys...

Jeff, for some reason I was thinking the trap door was your rest of choice. I guess my search continues.

I wish one of you guys would buy the QAD ultimate and do a review
Old 10-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry Range, I am too happy with my Golden Premier and Infinity to change at the moment. Maybe this season though...
Old 10-14-2003, 04:32 PM

Range, I' d be happy to buy the QAD and do an in depth review for you. Please make the check payable to...