Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shorting cable hurt lims ?

Old 10-09-2003, 03:54 PM

Default shorting cable hurt lims ?

If I shortin my cable about A in. or put more twist in it will it hurt ? for speed I can' t get it to go more then 63 pounds.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shorting cable hurt lims ?

You really don' t give a guy much info to go on. What is the max draw weight rating for the bow? What is your draw length? What kind of bow - single or dual cam? Is/are the cam(s) adjustable for draw length or are they draw length specific? Have you checked the bow' s axle to axle length and brace height against factory specs?

Just general info for you... exceeding the max draw weight rating for a bow is not recommended. So if you' re talking about increasing the draw weight on a 60 pound bow, you' re barking up the wrong tree. Shortening the cable(s) without also shortening the string will make the bow' s draw length longer. On a single cam, just shortening the cable without shortening the string will also nock the cam out of time and mess up the bow' s performance... assuming string/cable creep hasn' t already got the cam out of time. A lot of times, a guy with a short draw length will not be able to get the max draw weight rated for the bow.

If it' s an older bow that' s been shot a lot over the years, the limbs could have lost some of their strength.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:43 PM

sorry for no info. mathews MQ32 29in. draw should be 70lb pull but can only get it to 64lb it' s A single cam. I know the string was streached out I shoot alot every day so I twisted the string & the cable It feels good but I noticed it' s little louder then before witch should be expected right ? like going from heavy arrows to light? even after doing string & cable still 64Lb ? is this all I can get. I' m afraid to make it shorter might put stress on lims.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

That' s why I said to get the brace height and axle to axle length specs for your bow. You can twist the snot out of the string and cable, but as long as you' ve got those two measurements in spec, you' re not going to overstress your limbs.

I had to put 12 twists in each cable and 6 twists in the string on my ProTec the other day to get it back right. It had lost 5 pounds. I' ll probably get one more twisting out of this set of string/cables before I replace them. I think if you get too many twists in the system it makes the bow noisier than it should be and cuts down performance. I know for a fact it makes keeping the peep adjusted correctly a real pain.

The twists start acting like a coil spring, and you know what happens with coil springs when you put an extra load on them. SPROING!

About 80 to a hundred twists is as far as I' ll go with twisting before replacment. You sure don' t want so many twists that the string starts trying to kink while you' re twisting it!