Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Center shot and sight pin ????

Old 10-09-2003, 07:21 AM

Default Center shot and sight pin ????

I noticed last night that my sight pins didn' t line up with my arrow, they were off to the left a little. I also found that my arrows were hitting left of the target. I was thinking I should move the sight pins to the left to bring the arrows back on target but that would make things even more out of wack. I decided to try moving the center shot more left to line the arrow up with the sight pins, but I figured the arrows would strike the target even more to the left than before. It did look like my arrows were fish tailing a bit. I found the more left I moved the rest the more to the right the arrows went until they started hitting right on target and my groups tightened up a little more. I didn' t notice any fishtailing any more either. This didn' t make much sense to me as I thought the arrows would strike to the left if I moved the rest to the left. Did this happen because the center shot was off to begin with? If the center shot is off to the right why do the arrows strike to the left? It seems like it should be the opposite. I' m assuming it has to do with the arrow being steered by coming out of the bow sideways.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Center shot and sight pin ????

You had two lines going at the same time. The line of sight from your eye through the sight pin to the target, and the line of arrow launch from your anchor through the rest to the target. Your line of sight was shifted left in relation to your line of launch. By moving your rest left without moving the sights, you were moving the lines closer and closer together until they merged.

Since your groups tightened up and visible fishtailing went away, I' d say your centershot was off to begin with, maybe causing your arrows to bounce out of the rest and head off to the left instead of along the original line of launch (wierd things happen, sometimes), and it may still be off. But you' re probably a lot closer than you were.

That' s all assuming your arrows are spined properly. If not, that throws a whole nuther monkeywrench into the works.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 AM

Centershot (along with nocking point, etc.) should be set INDEPENDENTLY of sight settings. You want to set up the bow to achieve good flight (" Spine & Align" ), THEN set your sights to point where you aim.

It doesn' t matter that your sights don' t align with the string/centershot. THAT IS PURELY A FUNCTION OF ANCHOR POINT AND EYE LOCATION. When I shot with a peep, my string did align with them. It just about has to (if you have a straight ahead release, meaning you don' t shoot with fingers, etc.), because you are literally " looking thru" the string, which should be in alignment with centershot. I now shoot without a peep, using a " No-Peep" device and letting the string rest against my nose. Since I' m viewing the sight with my right eye from the right of the string, mine no longer line up.

IF you have a peep and things don' t line up when the bow' s " at rest" , realize that you might be TORQUING everything into alignment at full draw.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couldn' t this have anything to do with torquing the bow either at the handle or at the anchor????
Old 10-09-2003, 12:02 PM

I originally had everything set up and then set the pins. I was messing around the other night trying to really fine tune the center shot. Everything was working ok that night when I stoopped shooting, when I shot last night it was off so I set the center shot back so it lined up with the pins (where they were originally) and it works great. Somehow I moved the rest way off the other night. I was just surprised at the results of moving the rest left and having the arrows go right.