Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

treestand angle

Old 10-08-2003, 05:48 PM

Default treestand angle

Whats the rule on shooting from a treestand at a severe downward angle?
Should you aim high or low?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:22 PM

Default RE: treestand angle

When shooting extremely close shots, your arrows will most likely impact low, because they haven' t had a chance to " rise up" on the trajectory path yet. You' ll also want to hit the animal a little higher up on steep angled shots.
The best thing to do is elevate yourself and shoot some tough angle shots. Decide what you can and can' t do before trying it on an animal. A 3-D target helps too.

peashooter
Old 10-09-2003, 06:45 AM

A good rule of thumb is to aim for the exit hole.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bend at the waist and aim high. The distance from the tree to the target at ground distance is the governing factor.

To simulate, envision how far from the tree you are gonna shoot. Let' s say 3 yards.

Stand back from your target at ground level and take dead aim with your pin. Shoot. You' ll hit low. Now aim the same amount high as you shot low. Dead on.

If you have a typical 20/30/40 yard pin set up, and are shooting a fast bow, try using your 30 or 40 yard pin for close to the tree downward shots. Test it on your target first at the likely shot distances.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

rewing, all I will say is practice the shot! Don' t go into the situation without practicing. Personally, at a severely angle shot (very close in shot from a stand), I can' t help but drop my bow arm. It is physically impossible for me to bend at the waist that far. I have a pin set at five yards just for this close range shot.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:58 AM

Yeah- what BobCo said. If you have to ask how to take the shot, you haven' t practiced the shot. If you haven' t practiced the shot, you have no business taking it. Different people have different results in a tree. I shoot dead on, but several friends shoot high at close angles. Go find out what you do, then you' ll know when you are in that situation.

Get a friend, and take turns shooting and moving targets from a tree stand. Lower a quiver with a bow rope so you can shoot repeatedly without climbing up and down. It' s fun.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:26 AM

Exactly what PatapscoMike said. Shoot your bow in every conceivable situation before going hunting and you will KNOW what it' s doing. Nothing will help you more in bowhunting than KNOWING where your arrow is going to go on any given shot. A little confidence goes a long way.

By the way, most people tend to hit a little high on steep angled shots. Dropping your bow arm can make you hit way high.