Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shooting Right...

Old 10-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Right...

Hey guys I need a little help...the past couple times I' ve been shooting, the majority of my shots are hitting right. I' m positive that my sight and rest haven' t moved so it must be something in my form that' s causing this. I' m thinking I must be torquing my wrist. What do you guys think? How can I solve this problem? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:21 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Right...

If not already doing so shoot with an open bow hand. Do not grip the handle of the bow let it sit in the V formed between the thumb and index finger. Another common cause would be peeking, or not following through. Don' t look to see where you hit until you hear the arrow hit the target. You may want to try a level bubble on your site if you think torque is a problem.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:47 PM

I agree with Mez. Try shooting open handed and see if they hit where you were originally. If you do, you know you' re either torquing the bow or peeking (dropping the bow to see the arrow strike). If you' re left handed, and you' re canting the bow to the left, that can cause you to hit to the right. And finally, don' t shoot too much. Sometimes you can get tired and that will throw your form off. I wouldn' t shoot more than every other day. Your muscles need time to rejuvenate.

Almost forgot, if you try shooting open handed, use a wrist sling!! I' ve had situations where I shot this way without a wrist sling. The good thing is, you' ll know immediately whether or not you' re gripping the bow at the shot or not. The bad side of it is, you' ll have to clean mud off the bow when it lands on the ground.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might try aiming better. [&:]

Really though, there are too many causes to guess our way through before hitting your problem. I' d start with the bow, assuming you made critical measurements when you got the bow tuned to start with. Rest height and centershot the same? Sight settings the same? Draw weight the same? Brace height and axle to axle length the same? Cam rotation the same?

Have you cleaned the cable guard and cable slide recently? You' d be suprized how much a gunked up cable guard can mess with your shooting.

When you eliminate any problems with the bow that' s when you know it' s got to be the loose nut that' s hooked to the back end of the release.