Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about vanes?

Old 10-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about vanes?

I will be getting a new bow and new arrows this spring and I am probably going to get vanes because thats what the carbond express terminators come with. I was wondering if they have a right wing and left wing. Are all of them offset? I would like to know because my bodoodle rest has a very narrow gap and my feathers hit but it doesn' t effect them. I was wondering if this would effect the vanes flight? Thanks for the help-sam
Old 10-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about vanes?

When ya pick up that new bow, pick up a new rest too, leave your old bow set-up like it is for a back up bow. I' d suggest looking at a fall away rest or the WB for your new bow, then you won' t have to worry about carbon arrows with plastic fletchings.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:39 PM

REGUARDLESS OF WHAT YOU CHOOSE YOU WANT GOOD VANE CLEARENCE ON YOUR REST. I SHOOT A BOODOODLE WITH VANES I HAVE NO PROBLEM.BUT THE NEW DROP ZONE REST MAY BE YOUR ANSWER YOU CAN SEE SOME OF THE DROP RESTS AT yeoldearcheryshoppe.com LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP YOU.
THANKS
Old 10-06-2003, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

That' s the number one reason I prefer feathers. They can stand some rest contact and not screw up arrow flight, at least not all THAT much. Plastic vanes will always cause a bad reaction - just kinda bad if it' s a soft vane that brushes the rest up to arrows bouncing nearly sideways with stiff vanes and severe contact.

Fortunately it doesn' t take long to shoot up and shred the vanes that come on the store bought arrows I get so I can refletch with feathers.

If you adjust the Bodoodle properly, you should be able to get plenty of clearance. Or you can simply decide the work isn' t worth it, accept the inevitable, and go for total fletch contact with the WB. Or you can eliminate fletch contact troubles altogether and get a dropaway. Frankly, despite the raves you hear about the things, I detest dropaways for a hunting bow.

For release shooting, my favorites are the GKF Rover and Golden Premier. As tough and accurate in the woods as they are on the 3D course.