Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ACC' s - which size?

Old 10-03-2003, 12:12 PM

Default ACC' s - which size?

Ok, some of you guys have finally convinced me to move the ACC' s up my wish list a little. Heck, even Arthur can' t seem to find anything bad to say about them so I definitely have to check these things out for myself. It' ll probably be sometime after the season before I buy any but I decided to punch my data into the Easton arrow selector program to find out what size I would need.

I shoot a 28" arrow at a 65 pound draw weight. I' ll probably go with 100 grain heads in the future but right now I' m using 125' s. Checking both in the program, the 100 grain head puts me at a 3-49 and the 125 puts me at a 3-60. So which one should I go with?

It seems that the 3-49 would tend to have a weak spine reaction and that the 3-60 would tend to be stiff. My guess is it would be better to go with the stiffer arrow.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ACC' s - which size?

Sure Arthur can find something bad to say about ACC' s!! TWELVE BUCKS APIECE!!!

[&:][>:]

Other than that... You' re right. I have nothing bad to say about them. Excellence tells it' s own story.

The one Jeff sent me is a 3-60 and it shoots beautifully, but our setups are so different that I couldn' t say yay or nay on which size you need. I shoot 33 1/2" draw, 33" arrow, 125 gn tips, 5" feathers, energy wheels set at 60 pounds, with fingers release off a flipper.

But an arrow that will perform for me, at my draw length, will only be better for someone with a shorter draw.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a bowtech post feed cam on my Diamond Hornet, at 70#s over a 28" draw. Supposedly this cam likes a stiffer shaft. However, I' m shooting 3/49s with absolutely no problem. Shaft is 27" , tip weight is 100 grains, finished arrow weight is 375 grains.

The printed Easton chart in Cabelas recommends 3/49 for your set up. Also for mine.

They shoot like pure gold... bullet hole at 5' no problems and dart straight down the arc to the target. I would suspect if they were underspined, that wouldn' t be so.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys. I' ve got plenty of time so I' ll have to do a little more research. I have a friend with a very large arrow selection so I think I' ll stop by & see if he has any ACC' s that I could try out. His should be 27 1/2 or 28" so I should be able to get a good indication before I buy anything.

Range, when I run your numbers through the Easton program I get the same thing; for a 100 grain head you' re at 3-49 and for a 125 grain head you' re at 3-60.

I guess it depends on the specific arrow, but in general, if you were on the border between two different sizes which would you go with? I guess you could adjust your draw weight up or down & your point weight up or down to accommodate whichever choice you made.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

If stuck between 2 sizes, I always go with the stiffer one. You can cut it a little long (I can' t, but most normal size folks can), use heavier tips, crank the draw weight up a little... and broadheads always shoot better on the upsized shaft than the lower size.

Of course, you can also take the lower size shaft, set your rest in overdraw mode and cut the shaft short, use lighter tips and drop draw weight. But I don' t like going that direction.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Art, I' d go stiff. I almost went with 3/60s, but after talking with Jeff and Pinwheel, I went 3/49 as I had a specific build weight in mind.

Trying one of each with your bow before you buy sounds like the ideal opportunity. Hope your buddy has them.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be OK using 3-49s w/ 100 grain points if you use vanes, and are probably good w/ 125' s if you use vanes at that length and poundage too.

What is your draw length? (not arrow length)

What Bow are shooting w/ what cam?

Exactly what do you have on the string?

Old 10-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m not an expert by any means, but I am shooting 28.5" 3-60s out of my Bowtech Pro 38 Dual Cam (29" draw). I got the 60s because I can crank the limb bolts down to get 65#. I have backed off since the performance is good enough at #60. With 100 gr. Muzzys, the arrows shoot beautifully at 60 or 65#. Of course, 3-49 may also, but I have always had better luck going with the stiffer arrow when my setup put me on the line between sizes. Jeff B. has much more experience though, so he can give you a more definitive answer.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

Jeff, I am currently shooting a Browning Ambush but will be upgrading sometime after the season around the same time I' d be looking to try these arrows. I' m currently considering the Browning Eclipse but who knows how many times I' ll change my mind in the next 4 months.

But for the sake of this post, lets assume I' ll be shooting the same or similar bow (and then when I go with something completely different in a few months I can bug you guys again). I' m not sure of the exact cam that I have in my Ambush. I believe it' s the one that was out before they went to the Cyber 5. My draw length is 29" . On my string I have string leaches, a small kisser button, peep sight, and two brass nocks, one above & one below the arrow.

You said I should be okay using 3-49' s with vanes. What about feathers? Would that change things enough to consider going with the 3-60?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That cam is not very " hard" (comparitively), so you should be OK w/ vanes w/ 100 grain points and most likely feathers and 100 grain points, too.

You may be okay w/ vanes and 125 grain points. You may not.

I think you will be a bit underspined w/ feathers and 125 grain points.

I am currently shooting 3-49' s w/ vanes at 27.75" (shaft length, nock to end of shaft is appx 28" ) out of my Patriot SC @ 70 pounds, 29" draw. Shoot like darts, out to at least 45 yards. I wanted to use feathers but they were a tad underspined. If you were to upgrade to a harder cam and faster bow next year, the 3-49 w/ vanes & 100 grain points should suffice if the other variables remains the same.

Note that a string loop will make spine less critical.

feel free to email me if you have any more questions

Quick Reply: ACC' s - which size?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.