Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help - switching points questions?

Old 10-02-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Help - switching points questions?

Help
My buddy wants to switch 125 broadheads to 100 grain mechanicals.

I have run his set up through bowjackson.com with all the KE numbers and he has 50 ft #' s of KE so he does have the set up to handle it.

He adjusted his draw lenght now if he puts broadheads on broadhead touches his brace just slightly at full draw. Causing him to jump around.

Local shop out of 125 Mechanicals so they sold him 100' s and told him to practice with 100 grain field tips to site in. With less than 2 days to go before season I told him to skip opening day or drive to other shop. he shots 2 inch groups at 25 yards with 125 field points.

He wanted to know what to expect when he tries to site in his bow tonight with 100 grain field tips. I told him I had no clue, but my guess was his arrow would be higher and left then where his sites were since it is a bit lighter. Anyone have two cents worth they want to share?
Old 10-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help - switching points questions?

Depends on his bow tune job and arrow spine, which will stiffen a bit with the lighter weight. If he is shooting a release and a shoot through or drop away rest, he should be ok.

I can jump 25 grains in tip weight, only changes the vertical impact just a bit, easily compensated for.

If the 100 grains group good, have him move his sight for them and go. If he has the right target, have him shoot one of the mechanicals to make sure it impacts with the field tips.

Which mechanical?
Old 10-03-2003, 06:41 AM

rocket aeroheads I believe sidewinder model. I find out today when we get one last round of practice in at the range.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

With only 50#s of ke, he is right on the bubble for using mechanicals. Especially the one you mentioned, which has a 1.5" cutting diameter.

He would be better off with the steelhead or even the nail driver, or rocky ironhead expandable. If he is gonna use the sidewinder, make sure he only takes good broadside or quartering away shots.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:30 PM

rangeball thanks
I got him NAP Shockwave 125' s 1.25 dianter they shouldn' t interfere with his brace and are at least the same as his field points. I feel better going into the woods with him tommorrow. Oh and yes now his KE is 52 lbs.