Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers- 4" vs 5"

Old 10-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feathers- 4" vs 5"

I have shot 4" feathers for the past 2 years. I like their flight properties, and the foc they give my finished arrow. I' ve always had a shop fletch them, but I' d like to change that.

I' m considering getting an arizona ez fletch, as I don' t have a big need to mass produce lots of arrows, and I think it will suit my needs quite well. I' m pretty sure I' ll stay with a drop away rest, so I' m thinking I' ll get the 6* offset version, to put a good " helical" on for best control.

I currently shoot mechanicals, but you never know when the urge may hit to go back fixed. Given that, a 5" feather has more potential to control flight than a 4" , but how much. If I go from 4" to 5" , what will I be gaining, and what may I be giving up? Are 5" noisier than 4" ? Given a well tuned bow with ACCs, is the difference mostly aesthetics?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feathers- 4" vs 5"

I think 4" is just fine for smaller diameter, vented blade heads like T' heads, Muzzy, Bear Razorheads, Magnus Stingers and the like. The big honkin' unvented cut on impact stuff like Magnus II, Simmons Treesharks or Zwickey Deltas, then you' d be needing 5" .
Old 10-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, what Arthur said. Plus 5" feathers on an ACC just look funny.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

RB,

First of all..I highly suggest you reconsider your choice of fletcher..especially for feathers

I used to shoot 5" feathers of my 3-71' s all the time. Deer didn' t find it very funny

In a moderate offset, 5" feather are absolutely fanatstic on carbons. They make less noise than 4" in a heavier helical and stabilize quicker. Just usually have to watch clearance issues w/ the cables.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, what cheap $%* fletcher would you recommend for this cheap $%* of a
$*#@ ?

What specifically about the arizona don' t you like?

What is the width of the 5" feather? The 4" are around 1/2" , right? Hopefully I can calculate out the cable issue before hand.

How much offset would you recommend one put on a 5" feather on an ACC 3/49?

Inquiring minds need to know...
Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one ACC I' ve got is wrapped up with full helical, 5" shield cuts, 9/16" wide. But I shoot fingers off a flipper rest, off the shelf on my stickbows, so contact is not an issue. It shoots great with every broadhead I put on it.

If I were needing an inexpensive fletcher, I' d get the Jo-Jan Mono. I' ve got a BPE and that' s why I didn' t recommend it. Had a Jo-Jan that I liked very well, but sold it and bought the jig I' d always wanted... a Bitz.[:-]
Old 10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

For a fletching jig I would highly recomend the Bitzenberger. While I also do not fletch hundreds of arrows per year, I find the Bitz gives me all the adjustability I could ever want or need. The other nice thing is that you can find them used on ebay for 20-30 bucks.

I also agree with JeffB regarding the cable clearance issue. Even with 4" feathers I find that unless the feather is brand new (never been ruffled) they will catch my bus cable on the draw and bend them backwards, creating noise. I have even considered trimming the inside feather down by about 1/8" to avoid contact.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was about to ask how in the world you can be getting contact with the cables until it dawned on me... Short bows = less cable clearance. One of the problems I avoid by shooting a 46" bow.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

RB,

I would go witha Jo-Jan mono fletcher, Bitz, or the BPE Pro series.

Currently I have a Jo-Jan multi and a BPE pro-Series (not the standard model). I' ve had the BPE for about 10 years. No probs, works great, better than the JJ multi, just can only do one arrow at a time, which is a pain for feathers.

I know some folks who like the AEZF, But IMO, it is the worst fletcher out there. It does not allow for placing your vane where you want it (distance from end of shaft) It does not allow to adjust for different shaft diameters (which is crucial on feathers) and it' s very easy to goof up the fletching job with them. They tend to turn out a very sloppy job. Vanes?, eh..it' s passable. Feathers? [X(]

I' ve never used 5" on a 3-49: Not enough clearance when using a two prong rest unless it' s nearly straight.