Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hey C903

Old 10-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey C903

In another thread you mentioned seeing the Wensel Woodsman in action. I' d love to hear all about it, if you have the time...

Old 10-03-2003, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hey C903

Rangeball.

The Wensel Woodsman is a very popular broadhead with Traditional shooters.
You might go to www.stickbow.com and do a search on them there.
I have thought about trying them, myself.
They look like a very impressive broadhead.

Sag.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Sag...

I guess this post wasn' t controversial enough for C903...
Old 10-03-2003, 12:21 PM

Rangeball:

I answered your question several days ago. Since it was just a passive observation and not a full-blown test, there was no reason to start a separate thread.

You have to stay on alert or those deer will keep walking under your stand without you seeing them.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really? Where?

Not in the thread I asked it in...

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...mode=1&smode=1

If not deserving of a new thread, where' d you hide it?

If the deer visiting my stand have anything in common with your answer, I don' t think I have a chance at seeing them no matter how hard I pay attention
Old 10-04-2003, 08:24 AM

Hmmm! I posted a couple of paragraphs about my observations….somewhere.

To summarize what I wrote, because I don' t want to write it all again on just an observation:

My friend was shooting in on a medium-hard foam-rubber deer (interior might be less dense). He was shooting a 62" recurve, pulling about 53# @31" draw. He was trying some different heads to determine best flight characteristics. He was shooting Bears Razors, Zwickey, Magnus, and Wensel. The heads were mounted on 2 brands of wood and Easton 2413 aluminum. I had originally thought the Wensels were 140 grn heads. I found out yesterday that the heads were 125 grn.

The aluminum mounted with Wensels turned in the best flight; although the group was left of POA, which we are sure is a spine issue.

What I eventually observed, was that not only was the Wensels flying very well, the Wensels kept considerably out-penetrating the other heads. On one shot, an arrow actually penetrated the entire foam-rubber deer, maybe through a previously shot area. About 4" was protruding out the opposite side. A few other times, the Wensel penetrated to a depth that required pushing the head the rest of the way and then unscrewing the head so the shaft could be pulled out.

I thought that performance was unusual for a shaft being launched from a 53# recurve. Distance was about 15 yards for the one that fully penetrated.

Nothing scientific or controlled, just an observation.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you... Must be that 3:1 mechanical advantage that Dr. Ashton refered to going on...