Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Floating Carbon

Old 10-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Floating Carbon

I just ordered some new carbons (JEFFBs post has me second guessing myself now, but oh well [:' (]). Anyway, they are ones I plan on using for 3D next season. I wanted to get started early with matching weights and everything as perfectly as possible. My question is does floating a carbon arrow show the high spine on it or is there one on a carbon arrow? It probably doesn' t matter much but since I have a lot of time to work on these arrows I' m going to make them as perfect as possible if for no other reason than to help with my confidence in them.

So will floating a carbon show me anything or not?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Floating Carbon

NY what do you mean by floating a carbon? Launching one from a long distance or what?? I' ve always checked spine by a paper tune test.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes floating them will show a high spine just like alum...but it' s a pain in the A$$

A spine tester is easier, but if you don' t have one, simply fletch ' em up and shoot ' em. For arrows that seem to be constantly out of group, rotate the nock to the next fletch (if you are using a drop-away it' s even better cause you can make very minor adjustments of the nock). Generally you will be able to pull most of the arrows into the group by doing this.

Let us know how it goes...

Old 10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY what do you mean by floating a carbon? Launching one from a long distance or what?? I' ve always checked spine by a paper tune test.
Floating them in water...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:43 PM

Thanks Jeff. I' ll let you know how it goes. I just got done sorting through 100 field points to find a dozen that were within .1 grains of each other. I' m sure I can' t be accurate enough to make all these extremely minor details help any, but it makes me feel better and gives me something to do after legal hunting hours .
Old 10-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I float tested and then tested with a couple of bearings. They didn' t match (the side may have been heavier, but not weaker). For my arrows (tournament and hunting) I do a " bearing" test. Take 3 bearings (skateboard or inline skate bearings), put one on each end and one in the middle of your arrow. Now, take and support the two end bearings on an inside courner of a counter top. Next, hold the center bearing and push down to flex your arrow. Your arrow will spin to the weak side of the spine. I normally hold the center bearing down and spin the arrow. You will feel it and it will spin to the same spot each time (sometimes a carbon will have 2 weak sides but one is weaker or stronger than the other, go to the weakest). I will then take and mark the arrow on that weak side and fletch with the cock feather on that weak side. (Note this is for a release shooter only, not sure how the orientation should be for finger shooters.) I have yet had to turn a nock to make it group. If I did turn the nock it would make it fly further from the center not closer. Your weak side will now be the same for each arrow making them more consistant.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-03-2003, 01:27 PM

I' ve been doing what IMN23D explained since last year (thanks for the tip). It really gives you a good idea how consistent the spine is (or isn' t) around the outside of a given arrow. Aluminums are generally very consistent and carbons can vary greatly, and some more than others within a given bundle. I' ve had some CXL 150' s that you couldn' t find a weaker side on just for instance, but most you will. I can' t prove whether or not this helps but it makes alot of sense to me.

-Chief
Old 10-04-2003, 04:57 AM

Sooooo how do we know if the spine is correct?If it floats! what floats? wood? What else floats? A duck! sooooo if your arrows weigh as much as a duck,the spine is correct!( if you understand any of this you have a sick mind also)I think Jeff may get it Sorry could' nt resist.Now back to the original topic

CB
Old 10-04-2003, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

BURN THE ARROWS!

BURN THEM!

Quick Reply: Floating Carbon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.