Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews shooters Please reply

Old 10-01-2003, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Mathews shooters Please reply

This is my email to Mathews Technical and General Service Departments:
Please do they same so we can ALL find a solution.

Dear Mathews,

First let me say that I' ve been a HUGE Mathews fan for a number of years and I' ve owned three different mathews bows.

My problem: I bought an LX, 30" draw, 70 lbs approx. 3 months ago. I struggled with the zebra string for 2 of those months and finally got so frustrated with it stretching and turning and unraveling that I put a $100 set of Winners Choice string and cable system on it. That problem is now solved! My biggest problem is that when I draw my bow, I am getting a fairly LOUD, popping noise from the string suppressors when the string is being drawn back! Can you help?
I visit and post on Bowhunting.com' s Message board daily and noticed that their is a thread regarding this problem and no one can seem to get a good answer or a reasonable cure to the problem. I understand that it is Mathews opinion that the popping is due to wax build up on the string and that the was needs to be removed from the suppressor with Alcohol. I would suspect that this would only be a TEMPORARY fix and not a reasonable solution as ALL bow strings must be waxed.
In response to Mathews suggestions, I need to state that my winners choice string has the X-coat and my string does not have ANY wax on it - YET and it is still making the popping noise.
Please help, as you have many frustrated Mathews customers!?!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

There has been some talk over on ArcheryTalk that some of the guys had the same problem some of the guys took off the suppressors with no adverse effect to the bows performance.
Now I know the last thing you want to do is take it off but it is something for you to think about.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:48 AM

My Legacy did this earlier this spring. This is what I did and it worked fantastic. Put a very small amount of Vasoline on the suppressors where they contact the string. Problem solved! I have only had to re-apply the Vasoline ounce since April.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Mathews Archer, is their anything in vasaline that will hurt the intergrity or the x coat of my winners choice string? I will give it a try. I e-mailed bob jenkins at mathews and told him that alot of mathews shooters are having this problem and asked him to please consider this when they are designing the 2004 line-up. I told him alot of loyal mathews customers would be happy if they did. He told me to make sure the specs of my bow were right. According to him the axle length center to center is suppose to be 35 5/8 on the lx, and the brace height at 6 5/8. I cheched mine and it is dead on. He says if the axle length is long, then it causes the string to sit against the suppresors harder. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:05 PM

BH it should not hurt it at all. The key is to put a LIGHT coat on. Petrolium jelly should not have any properties in it that would weaken or damage the string. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:25 AM

Same sound on my LX. After a few draws I don' t hear it any more. It does' nt really bother me much though. But I wondered if there was a solution.

Thank' s for the suggestions I will try the vasaline out tonight!

Old 10-03-2003, 06:18 PM

Why would there be wax on that part of the bow string ??.I have never waxed the serving part of the string,,only the exposed strands.Have I been missing something all these years,,because I never noticed a differance.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:16 PM

I was examing my string suppressors the other night while sitting on stand and wondered if taking a file, say a chain saw sharpener and filing the suppressor down just enough so the suppressor does not grab and stick to the string.

I haven' t done it yet, but am thinking about doing it tonight! I will report on the results.

I think the idea of vasoline will work, but I don' t like the idea of having the petroleum based product on my sting or suppressors because I would imagine that it would attract dirt, dust or anything that would stick to the string.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don' t know if this would work or not, but why not try putting a light coat of silicon grease on the string supressors? The type of grease I' m talking about is the stuff they sell in R/C hobby stores for use on R/C cars and such. I use the stuff to lube the silicon rubber dampers in the rotorhead of my R/C helicopters, so I know for a fact that it won' t affect plastic or rubber like some petroleum based products will. The stuff' s kindof expensive from the hobby stores (like $3-5 for a .5oz tube) but a little goes a long way. I don' t know where else one might find it other than a hobby store.

I' m not a Mathews shooter (yet) but I' ve narrowed my bow choices to a Mathews LX, Q2, or a Bowtech Extreme VFT, so I' m investigating threads like this one to get a feel for any issues with the bows I' m considering. If someone trys my suggestion I' d like to know how it works out.

Mike
Old 10-09-2003, 07:53 PM

Is this a problem with the Icon?????

Quick Reply: Mathews shooters Please reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.