Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

' ' Do it yourself fletching"

Old 09-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default ' ' Do it yourself fletching"

Anyone do there own fletching? Lately ive been having to spend a bit of extra money taking my arrows ot get them refletched and think it would be cheaper to do it myself in the long run. What kinda tools are necessary for this and does it cost much to start?
Old 09-27-2003, 11:10 AM

Default RE: ' ' Do it yourself fletching"

I use a $20 fletching jig (can probably get one at wal-mart or any deicent sporting goods store) and the appropriate glue (differs depending on type of arrows used). The glue is cheap and lasts forever. You also need a dull knife to strip off the old fletchings and glue. So it' s cheap, easy, and you don' t need much to do it. Of course fletching jigs come in expensive models too but for my needs the cheap one works just fine. I can fletch feathers, vanes, straight or slightly offset. Give it a try. you' ll be glad you did.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear i can start out doing it cheaply, thanks for the reply.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:44 PM
AK

Though a fletching jig is very helpful for aligning fletchings, it is not absolutely necessary. Feathers can be temporarily or permanently tied down while the glue dries.

Old 09-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

i just started fletching myself. i prefer the fletching tape because when you mess up a fletch while practicing, you don' t have to scrape that old glue off and it is much easier to fletch. still put a dab of glue at the front and back end of the feather. i use a bitzenburger jig which will last a lifetime.