Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

short ata.....with fingers?

Old 01-30-2002, 09:06 PM

Default short ata.....with fingers?

heres the deal, I really like the browning tornado. I also like to shoot with my fingers.I currently shoot a 38" ata with three fingers under the nock. Has any one tried this with bows 36" or shorter?
thanks for the input.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:23 PM

Default RE: short ata.....with fingers?

What is your draw length?
Old 01-31-2002, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

just speaking for myself, With my 30" drawlength(when shooting fingers) I found I need a bow 42" or longer in order to shoot well and not make my fingers go numb! I can't speak for you though.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-31-2002, 10:41 AM

Len, its 29".
Old 01-31-2002, 11:38 PM

ive shot my Q2(34"ata) a few times w/fingers just to see if i could and its no walk in the park,accuracy really sucks.needless to say i need to buy another release just to keep as a spare cause iwouldnt take a chance at a deer without one
Old 02-01-2002, 12:34 AM

For a finger shooter, I always recommend 12 inches beyond your draw length as a minimum "comfortable" level. This would dictate something in the neighborhood of 41" ATA for you. I've seen some go as low as 10" but this is starting to push the comfort/accuracy level and depends moreso on the bow design and shooting style.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:04 AM

Brace heights play a major role as do draw lengths too. All factors, including the ata length, affect string angle at full draw. A short draw length individual can get away more comfortably shooting a shorter ata bow with fingers. You have the same draw length I do and if I shoot a short ata (under 38&quot I prefer a brace height of around a minimum of 8". Nock pinch can be lessened also by release techniques such as dropping the top finger, which is how I prefer to shoot. If you have large hands, you will have much difficulty. Also, with three fingers under, at 29", you are pushing it IMO. But, I have a friend that did extremely well in 3-D tournaments shooting speed bows (Jennings speed star and original rackmaster) at 29". It's all individual comfort levels so give it a try before you buy.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I'll get a release or longer ata.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saw a photo of a guy, I think on the cover of 3D Times magazine, that was shooting 1-under. I tried it, but I sure wasn't too confident about being able to control the string with just my middle finger if the cam decided it wanted to take it away from me.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I use to shoot a mathews feather max. I can't tell you what the ATA was but it was short. I went to a release with it and was never totally happy. I now shoot a hoyt aspen (dicontinued as soon as I bought it). It is 43 or 44 and is without a doubt the best finger bow I have ever shot. The arrow flight is absolutely perfect-no kick what so ever. My groups are not as good as I remember them being before I did my experiment with mathews. I don't blame the bow, I think either my memory or my bow arm is getting weak with age.

Quick Reply: short ata.....with fingers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.