Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A VERY interesting observation !

Old 09-25-2003, 08:18 PM

Default A VERY interesting observation !

I purchased a dozen new GoldTip XT 5575 Shafts today..... I had decided to do my inserts my self because last year I couldnt get a broadhead to spin without wobble on all but 1 shaft after the local pro shop did them. Well... The diameter of the goldtip insert is stamped on the insert - .246" Well I pulled out my micrometer and gauged them... WOW - they were VERY inconsistant. Sure you could get any of them in a shaft - but the tight ones (which were most) were the ones that had a BAD wobble to them when I stuck a broadhead on them (before gluing)

So I took an old broadhead and stripped it down ( a NAP razorback) to the bare shaft so I had the male threads/ insert and a bare shaft - I chucked it in my little lathe (A harbour freight mini lathe) and screwed an insert on it. I them took all the inserts that were really tight fitting down to the size that I had measured on the few good inserts I had.......

I then proceeded with gluing them in.... Guys - you would not believe the differance. All my shafts spin like gyros now - perfect. The few that still had a REAL SMALL wobble - I chucked (lightly) the shaft in the lathe and BARELY faced the front of the insert to true it with the shaft (perpandicular) and now those shafts spin broadheads like gyros.... I mean they are so true its fun to spin them.

I had thought a few weeks ago that it was my proshop - but no - it was the inserts not being machined to tight tolerances..... So learn from this.... when you get inserts, test fit all of them at the shop - if they are tight - get a differant one..... (unless you have a lathe) But the arrow manufactures should look at that problem.... I am sure there are A LOT of people out there that swear trying to get a wobble to quit......I was one of them last year......

Just thought Id share this info - I hope it helps out some people
Old 09-26-2003, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A VERY interesting observation !

Yep..fairly common w/ most IC carbons.

As ArthurP had mentioned too w/ the CX arrows I sent him, inside diameters are not very consistent either.

That doubles your problem. [:@]

I had high hopes that my newer Goldtips had improved in many areas since the straightness tolerances were so much better than in previous years. Unfortunately that doesn' t seem to be the case. [:' (]

Savin' my pennies for A/C/C' s. Tight tolerances. Spin true. Component fit is precise. No worries.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savin' my pennies for A/C/C' s. Tight tolerances. Spin true. Component fit is precise. No worries.
Say it again Jeff, it just rings of the hears so well....
Old 09-26-2003, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can see why they have problems with ID tolerances in carbon shafts due to the manufacturing process. I don' t like it, but I understand it. Sloppy insert sizing though... that is nothing less than incompetence. That is my opinion as a retired aerospace machinist and QC inspector. The semi-trained monkey (uh... machine operator) should have go/no-go gauges in his hand and be checking every 5th part coming off that machine.

Old 09-26-2003, 07:27 AM

Arthur

I totally agree and I am going towrite a letter to Gold Tip......

I am lucky I have the tools I do... I am very sure most bow hunters do not..... I am not a machinist in any sense, but like you said - it doesnt take but a second to check every 5th - 10th part and with the CNC Lathes that are available now - with auto feed - you name it.... there is NO excuse for a tolerance thats out that bad... I can see the inside diameter of a shaft being off a little due to the resin / shrinkage etc... But the mandrels they build them on are VERY tight - they have to be..... I didnt have any problems with the shafts... its the inserts that were off.... the shafts were very close.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:04 AM

I am a machinist in a Q/A lab...we actually machine our parts before we can test them, and I never thought of checking up on the tolerances. But I never had a problem. I just spun my A/C/C' s to check my broadheads and they were absolutely perfect. I will keep your post in mind, 8wgt, in case any of my friends have problems with their inserts. Thanks for the idea.[8D]