Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Couple questions on Hoyt Carbon element set-up

Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM
Spike

Default Couple questions on Hoyt Carbon element set-up

Hey all,
I got into archery/bow hunting last year. I have a few questions. My current set-up is 2012 hoyt carbon element RKT. I have a 27inch draw with a 52lb draw weight(this is a 50-60lb bow and is set at its minimum but was measured to be about 52lbs) and I am shooting easton axis arrows with about a 395grain weight including the 100grain field tip. Does anyone know approximately what speed I am shooting? I havent been able to get anywhere that can show me this. I plan on driving to a shop that can measure it sometime in the near future.
My second question is, I have been shooting A LOT over the past year. Loving this sport. Well I find my bow quite easy to shoot now and would like to increase draw weight to near maximum (I have heard different reviews about maxing out limbs vs. being a quarter turn from maxed out) I will probably do the latter just to be safe. How much FPS should I gain? I know most increases come from draw length but I have heard I could expect 10-20fps increase with a 10lb draw weight increase depending on the bow. Is draw weight something I can change myself? My bow had a decent tune end of last year, had it paper tuned(shooting bullet holes) and what not. Broadheads(g5 strikers) flew "almost" like field points...they seemed to shoot about 2-3inches high at 30 yards but left and right were dead on. I honestly think I may have slightly to stiff a spine arrow for 50lb draw weight. The easton axis are 400s but easton's site says with my length and weight I should be shooting 500s however it does seem to be boarder line. Changing to 60lb draw, per easton site says I should be shooting 400 spine so maybe my arrow will fly even better/faster with this change. Will changing the draw weight myself throw off the tune? Hopefully there are people on here with the hoyt carbon element that could chime in about any of this info? Thanks everyone!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Spike

I'll start by saying I have a hoyt vector turbo, my cousin has a hoyt carbon element, my best friend has a Hoyt vector 35, and his cousin has a Hoyt crx 32, I do all the tech work for all of them. It will change your tune, and point of impact that being said its worth it, if you could comfortably pull the higher poundage. You can easily change your draw weight with an Allen wrench. Just be sure to tighten the limbs down evenly so one turn on upper limb, one turn on lower limb, etc. Having a higher poundage will increase ki.Eric energy further increasing penetration, and opening a plethora of different broadhead opportunities.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by dsotm223
I'll start by saying I have a hoyt vector turbo, my cousin has a hoyt carbon element, my best friend has a Hoyt vector 35, and his cousin has a Hoyt crx 32, I do all the tech work for all of them. It will change your tune, and point of impact that being said its worth it, if you could comfortably pull the higher poundage. You can easily change your draw weight with an Allen wrench. Just be sure to tighten the limbs down evenly so one turn on upper limb, one turn on lower limb, etc. Having a higher poundage will increase ki.Eric energy further increasing penetration, and opening a plethora of different broadhead opportunities.
thanks...It is now right at 60lbs pull and I can pull it easy so no issues there. I'm still curious if anyone has a guess how fast I'm shooting...I am now 60lbs 27inch draw with 400 grain arrows on a carbon element rkt rated for 330fps
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bigeclipse
thanks...It is now right at 60lbs pull and I can pull it easy so no issues there. I'm still curious if anyone has a guess how fast I'm shooting...I am now 60lbs 27inch draw with 400 grain arrows on a carbon element rkt rated for 330fps

My cousin shoots a 468 gr arrow at 60lbs 28 in draw out of his carbon element rkt at about 260fps, if I had to take a guess I'd say based on your specs and arrow weight you'd be shooting right about 250-260fps. But like I said that's just guessing.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info!
Bow is shooting very well. Definitely flatter shooting than it was before. I also decided to give the Grim Reaper 1 3/8ths a shot this year.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Spike

the grim reapers are awesome broadheads. definitely a good choice.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I just purchased a new Mathews Creed and I am shooting it at about 60 lbs for now. Plan to increase it by about 3 pounds per week until it's maxed out at 70. Not sure what the FPS is on my Creed but I owned a Mathews Legacy before this one and I shot that one at 58 lbs and got about 245 fps with a 27.5" draw length. The Legacy was about 10 years old, so your Hoyte will probably shoot a little faster than that. Most pro shops will have a chornigraph (spelled wrong) that will tell you your fps.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
I just purchased a new Mathews Creed and I am shooting it at about 60 lbs for now. Plan to increase it by about 3 pounds per week until it's maxed out at 70. Not sure what the FPS is on my Creed but I owned a Mathews Legacy before this one and I shot that one at 58 lbs and got about 245 fps with a 27.5" draw length. The Legacy was about 10 years old, so your Hoyte will probably shoot a little faster than that. Most pro shops will have a chornigraph (spelled wrong) that will tell you your fps.
Funny thing about that, the only pro-shop near by that has one had technical difficulties with it... i.e. it was broken the night I was there so thats why I asked on here haha. They are about an hour drive from my house so not exactly right down the road to go and test it. From all I have read, and all the little calculations I have done such as grains of arrow, grains on string, draw length and pull...comparing to others with the hoyt element...it looks like I should fall somewhere around 250-270...hopefully somewhere near the upper portion of that but I am guessing right around 260. This should put me at 62lbs KE and a momentum of .47985 which should hopefully be enough for the 1-3/8ths reapers for deer. Would have been nice to go with 1-3/4s but dont want to under penetrate the deer.

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 07-16-2013 at 03:57 AM.