Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOC arrow selection

Old 06-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Lightbulb FOC arrow selection

Tinkering with an idea. Got me a 2011 PSE Axe 6, hanging around a 27in draw and 65# draw weight. Now, following the study by Dr. Ashby, Im lookin to shoot an arrow setup that would look more propper on a longbow. lol But, before I go ordering a bunch of stuff I cant tune and then in turn cant use, Id like some opinions. Shooting feathers, Ive heard the pros and cons already and have decided to try it, on the back and stacking weight up front, such as brass inserts, an aluminum sleeve, tuffhead broadheads (the weight would depend on what I can get to tune for the arrow shafts) and the like. For the first actual question in this post, as far as spine for the shafts, what would yall suggest? I know its trial and error, but a good place to start is what Im lookin for. I was lookin to start off at the 300 mark and work around from there but wanted at least a second opinion before I drop money on arrows that wont work.
Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to start out like you I would choose an arrow with a 340 or so spine. Having a bit of experience after shooting compounds for almost 40 years I would choose a 400 spine and be happy. That way if it's close to being underspined I could easily just turn the weight down a bit on the bow rather than having a 340 and having to turn it up and be overbowed.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Spike

I assume you are shooting about a 28" arrow. 340 spine will work good for you. I have the same draw length and shoot 68 pounds.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the weight of your tip , if you are following ashbys recommendations , which are great by the way , you will be useing a heavy tip in the 150-200 range , in that case with a 27 inch arrow pushed by 65 pounds ,Id try 340 spined arrows