Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Strings/cables for Hoyt Versacam bows ???

Old 09-23-2003, 03:39 PM

Default Strings/cables for Hoyt Versacam bows ???

Ok, I' m going to replace the string and bus cables on my ' 02 Havoctec w/Versacam. The sticker on the lower limb says: String-53.5" Cables-39.0" /35.0" since it has the dual track idler wheel it actually has the 2 seperate strings instead of one long string like most solocam bows, easy enough but since Hoyts use the " Self Aligning Yoke" there are actually 4 strings/cables total, the 53.5" , 35.0" , 39.0" and the shorter seperate yoke cable (don' t know the length of this and Hoyt doesn' t tell you). My first question is 1: does the 35.0" or 39.0" bus cable length Hoyt gives you include the " self aligning yoke" cable? or is that a totally seperate cable? 2: if it does not include the yoke is that because you don' t need to replace the self aligning yoke cable? 3: Are factory hoyt strings and cables good or a waste of money? my local dealer says he can get the factory Hoyt cables and strings for $30 a piece for a total of $90 !!!!
4: if I buy the whole set from say Bowman strings or Winners Choice are they going to set up the cables like Hoyt with the Self Aligning Yoke Cable or do they set it up with a standard split yoke like on my Mathews FX?
Sorry for all the questions, I don' t have any dealers in my area that are big on Hoyts. Most are big Mathews dealers and don' t want to help out the Hoyt guys unless you' re wanting to buy a Mathews. Thanks guys, chadinmi
Old 09-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Strings/cables for Hoyt Versacam bows ???

Chad, the Hoyt setup includes the yokes. No sweat there.

$90! Last time I replaced the string/cables on my Hoyt, I think it was more like $65. But that was a year ago and prices likely went up.

As to whether the stock string/cables are any good, that' s a matter of opinion. I shoot stock rigging on my bow and about every 3 months I have to press the bow and twist everything back to spec. I' d say there is likely better stuff out there... for a price. The high end string makers will also include the yokes, if you' re sure to specify the set is for a Hoyt. That' s something you need to tell them when you' re checking prices.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2003, 08:25 AM

Thanks Navy, I actually live about thirty miles away from Tailormaid and have decided to give them a try. I probably won' t purchase for another week or two so let me know how they are when you recieve them. Thanks for the info. chadinmi
Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just as an FYI

Material choice is not necessarily an indication of a good string. I’m referring to where it was inferred that since TM uses the same material as WC it must be good.

The real trick in string making is the construction: end servings and pre-stretch in particular. Most people will assume that because 452 has less inherent creep as a raw string material, that if they buy a string made of 452 it will be automatically better than 8125 or D75 thin or another material that inherently has a bit more creep. That is absolutely not true. I’ve had poorly made “custom” strings from 452 creep in considerable amounts. And I’ve had 8125 strings like Winners Choice not creep any noticeable amount.

By and large Winners Choice unique construction is what makes them such excellent strings, regardless of whether you buy their “stock” 8125, or 452 or Ultra-Cam or whatever.

Don’t assume just because it’s the same raw material that it’s just as good from one manufacturer to the other.

Furthermore, although WCCB uses 8125, “word on the street” from industry folk I know is that they have an exclusive on a particular “unwaxed” (not my terminology) version of 8125 from BCY. Don’t know if that is fact or not, but I do know you can look at their 8125 strings and see (compared to say Stone Mountain Dakota or another similar to WCCB construction string made of 8125) that there is a noticeable difference.

I’m not trying to rag on TailorMade or any other string manufacturer, just throwing out some food for thought.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Navy,

I inferred incorrectly then, I apologize

I too was simply trying to offer up some info to help out.

To address a particular point you made: Every string manufacturer worth his salt pre-stretches his strings. It' s how you do it that counts . WCCB (according to them) has a unique process for such, and also they utilize unique center & end serving techniques (though there are people copying them these days, so in truth it may not be so unique now).

All string material when it is made is waxed, it is part of the process (keeps the fibers lubricated so they don' t wear), however my understanding is that WCCB uses an 8125 that is much " dryer" and does not get the final coating/s of wax as normal (and why it fuzzes up so quickly). Apparently this is something very key to the virtually no creep nature of their strings.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Navy,

No Worries Mate!

Please do let us know how your TM stuff works out. Very interested myself. I tried some of their strings a few years back, and I' m curious as to how the current products are.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:39 PM

I bought a string and cable from Berry Stings http://home.ntelos.net/~nberry4/BerryStrings/ All the quality of a winners choice at half the price.