Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow tuning problems

Old 09-22-2003, 06:16 AM

Default bow tuning problems

While getting my bow ready for hunting season I unknowingly started tightening my limb bolts. Now my arrows are shooting to the left somewhat. Before I strarted monkeying with it, I was hitting exactly where I aimed. Is this because the limbs are not tightened the same? Any suggestions to correct this problem would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:19 AM

Default RE: bow tuning problems

You “unknowingly” tightened the limb bolts?? Just for future reference, that happens when you insert the allen wrench into the bolt head and then rotate clockwise…

Seriously, when you adjust your limb bolts you change the draw weight of the bow. For one, that means you changed the SPINE relationship of the arrow to the bow. (IF the arrow was correctly spined before the weight increase, it would now be too weak for your “new” higher poundage setting.)

It doesn’t matter much that the top bolt doesn’t match the bottom: weight-wise they’ll average out (i.e., the arrow doesn’t know the difference between putting 2 turns in the top or putting 1 turn in both.) However, if you don’t turn the upper/lower bolts the exact same amount, you change the TILLER of the bow. Tiller is, in essence, the angle of the handle/shelf in relation to the string. Nothing major to lose sleep over, but your arrow may “point downhill” compared to your buddy’s bow.

Now, having said that, realize that you may not be out of tune. If you adjusted your limb bolts without knowing what you were doing, I’ll assume that you’re just learning the sport. The thing to realize is that you adjusted the amount of energy that the bow is shoving into the arrow. It should make sense that the arrows no longer “hit where they used to.” You might be better or worse than where you were before. You need to choose a tuning evaluation method and figure out where you are. If you are hunting, the bare minimum is to at least shoot your arrows with broadheads and see if they group well for you. If they do, and you seem to be getting good flight, don’t ever worry about where your bow was shooting before. Just adjust your sights and have fun!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Excellent reply CapstoneME!
Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 AM

So since you do not know were you are, you need help. If the bow is a 60 to 70 lb model, you can do the easier way is to start the bow out at peek weight, so turn the limbs bolts in till they will not turn, both on the top and bottow limb. Next if you want to have the bow at about 65, turn the bolts 3 full turn back, both on the top and botton. If the bow is still to heavy turn the bolts back again one full turn both on the top and the bottom. This should reduce the bow by about another 3 to 4 lbs of peak weight...let us know how you make out. Or take to a local archery shop and they can do it for you at a reasonable cost and you can see how they do it. I have people stop by all the time and I put on the shop scale and will increase and decrease weight for them at a $2.00 service charge, I use to do it for 0, but found time is money...
Old 09-23-2003, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the help. Figured out what to do last night. Set the bow to its peak weight, 60#, and backed both bolts off 2 full turns.
Shot it today at lunch and I' m back in the groove.
Thanks again
Ric
Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the help.
Ric
Old 09-23-2003, 12:17 PM

you can do the easier way is to start the bow out at peek weight, so turn the limbs bolts in till they will not turn, both on the top and bottow limb.
I had a Browning, 45-70 lb range, that if you did that, the sucker would go up to 92 lbs.