Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Roller Guard' s worth

Old 09-21-2003, 06:45 AM

Default The Roller Guard' s worth

Did we really need the roller guard ??.Do you guys,shooting some of the newer MATHEWS,think you can tell a differance ?.I think a nice Bomar,or a Simms teflon slide works great.It does' nt seem like there is a big speed advantage.I think you can run into problems if you shoot a hot set up,,like close to IBO specs.You will get ALOT of " over travel" on your cables,,slamming them into the " arm" that houses the rolling wheels,,if you can picture what I' m saying.
Is this right or wrong ???.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Roller Guard' s worth

Put 1000' s of arrows through 3 different Legacy' s & and Icon w/ no problems whatsoever.

Is it neccessary? nawww.., but I it does make for slightly smoother draw IME.

I also like the fact that is more compact and built like a tank compared to a normal cable guard rod (carbon or otherwise). I' ve had too many cableguard probs over the years..I don' t trust them.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not mathews related-

If you have room for it (or an adjustable cable rod), the rollers on the " alpine glide slide" cable slide provide for a smoother draw -imho.
I had it on my mighty mite and it stretched far enough to put my cable into the path of my fletching. It was replaced w/ a simms.
I just installed it on my stalker and it seems to have more than enough room for any stretch, time will tell. I love it' s smoothness, hate it' s stretching.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I don' t think it is really needed, I think is was somthing to try and hype the bow line. On 70lb bows with the roller guard they have 60lb limbs on them. If you take the guard off and check the draw weight you will get about 8-10lbs less. When you draw the bow with the roller on as you draw the bow it preloades the limbs to get to the 70lb draw weight, My only ? is will it start causing limb failers after the bow gets up in years, because of the added stress put on the limbs from preloading them? Only time will tell. I have also seen 4 mathews came into the local archery shop in my town that the string and cable jumped the track on the roller guard and got chewed up, one need new strings and cable and the others just needed reserving. There is one advantage I can see to the roller guard is it should produce a smooth draw because the cam and the limbs are both working to add the weight to the pull. They may be more advantages but I don' t know what they are.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:15 PM

I don' t like them. Most don' t fit really snugly on the cable rod and made alot of noise on the bow I tried them on. I threw them away and went with teflon slides.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:05 PM

Bigcountry25,,,Your sure thats the case with the limbs ??,,I don' t care for that idea to much.Why not use the heavy limbs to get the 70 lbs.of draw weight ??.This extra pre-load to limbs,,via,the extra tention of the cables and string,is like that gimmic I seen in one of the magazines.The TURBOW cable guard.I think in the past I have check a bows weight,,without the cable slide in place,and noticed NO differance in the draw weight.
I just have to PUT ALL THIS STUFF out of my head,,until the 2004' s come out
Old 09-21-2003, 05:06 PM

Oh yea,,,DANNY your thinking of something all together differant []
Old 09-21-2003, 08:49 PM

Sorry, I think the item I' m thinking of is called the Roller Guide.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:54 AM

Dang, JeffB had something good to say about a Mmmmm.......Almost spit my coffee allover the puter screen.

CB
Old 09-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey! [:' (] I’ve always liked the bows for the most part, otherwise I would not have bought about 25 to 30 of them over the years! . They’ve had some hurdles to clear, but they make a quality piece of equipment on the whole AFAIC. If I hadn’t had to sell it due to financial reasons, I’d still have my Legacy; it’s a damn nice shooting bow. In fact, I’d say they are number two or three of my fave bow brands: Bowtech being number one, and Mathews running neck and neck w/ Hoyt.

It’s the half-truth/BS advertising, and the holier-than-though attitude of the company (and a select few shooters/staffers) that rubs me the wrong way about Mathews. But I give credit where credit is due re: the bows themselves.

I would say that there’s not a company on the market that doesn’t make a bow I’d like to own; even :gasp: High Country

I should be careful what I say though, as I may have just invited a Lynch Mob upon myself from the guys who shoot Bowtechs!

Quick Reply: The Roller Guard' s worth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.