Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Favorite fletching for vanes......

Old 09-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite fletching for vanes......

Yup..you can' t beat flex-fletch. The Marco' s are my second choice.

I' ve been using AAE this past year (and used to use them years ago too), and also using Duravanes (becaue of cost) and while they are both super easy to fletch neither brand is anywhere near " durable" . Compared to the AAE' the Duravanes are a bit better, but that' s like saying horse poopy smells a bit better than cow poopy.[X(]

I' ve shot Bohning vanes too, and while fairly durable, I' ve always found them difficult to fletch, at least on carbons.

FlexFletch are worth the extra bucks.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Currently duravanes, because they are lighter than the bohning vanes they replaced. 11 grains per arrow difference.
But I have noticed that the wrinkling does not easily " fix" with a steaming iron as the bohnings would.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff heres a trick to get the bohning vaves to stick to carbon. clean the shat as normal, then apply a generous bead of glue to on vane. stick the vane on the arrow and rotate it one full turn to coat the shaft with the glue. Pull the vane off and let the glue on the shaft dry I take this time to clean off my fletch. When the shaft is dry your ready to fletch. I put a moderate bead of glue on the vane and lightly press it to the shaft. wait 15 min and rotate. The glue I have been using is bond-tite and it holds up very well if you apply them this way. I guess the glue bonds to it' s self bettter than just straight to the carbon shaft. Once everything dries it makes a solid strong bond. I then use super glue on the tip and back to hold the ends down on pass throughs in the targets.