Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new string tuning- impossible but true

Old 09-18-2003, 12:44 PM

Default new string tuning- impossible but true

Macrotec put on my new string on my Hoyt Alpha-Tec the other day. I get home, put on the peep, ultra-nok, and string leeches. Check the tiller- 1/8 inch off no big deal.

Head outside and set up my newspaper to paper tune. First 3 shots- 1" high tear. Lower ultra-nok 1/8" , tighten upper limb bolt 1/2 turn. Second 3 shots 1/2" high tear (which is what I prefer). Hmmmmm, that was easy. Step back to 10 yards- shooting low and a tad left. Adjust sight (and realize the reason I was shooting left was that my sight hadn' t been tightened since coming out of the bow case). Shoot again, 10 yards, perfect groups, better than before putting the new string on. 20 yards, slight adjustment of sight again, then perfect. 30 yards- perfect.

Total time elapsed, 30 minutes. Bow is shooting beautifully, and everything is perfect. Holy cow, that NEVER happens. I guess there is something to be said for owning a bow for multiple seasons and having tuned it so many times... Bring on the season!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:51 PM

Default RE: new string tuning- impossible but true

I hope it stays that way for you,

I always try to put 300 or so shots into a new string before I even attempt to get a tune on it.

They will always settle and creep for the first couple hundred shots.

You might want to keep an eye on it.

Second 3 shots 1/2" high tear (which is what I prefer).
Is the 1/2" high tear what you try to get for broadhead tune?

Good Luck
Old 09-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always try to put 300 or so shots into a new string before I even attempt to get a tune on it.
Same here, I' ll usually just put on the nock around 1/4 inch over 90 degrees, leave the rest where it is, maybe crank the bow down a bit and shoot for a while before I even attempt to tune.

Unless I do this, I am in a state of constant tuning.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:13 PM

I put on a new Berry string and was amazed that after 200 shots it hasn' t moved a damn bit. Shot perfect pretty much 20 minutes after I put it on and I haven' t moved a thing since.