Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Minimum arrow weight?

Old 09-17-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Minimum arrow weight?

[:-] Hello I' m new to the forum but I have been Bowhunting for about 3 years and just bought a New Used PSE Beast bow that I believe is set at approx 55#(max60#). I' m shooting 31" Easton 2216 FallStalker arrows,100 grain fieldsor 100grain fixed broadheads(approx 450gr total). The bow has a minimum arrow grain weight of 360gr listed on the forarm on the arrow but does that include the tip or bh?[8D]
Old 09-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Minimum arrow weight?

I believe it' s 360 grain total weight. So that means 6 gr/lb.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:22 AM

yes that includes broadhead, fletching, inserts, and nocks
Old 09-18-2003, 12:24 AM

also, whats your draw length? you can cut down the arrows and still be well above the minimum.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

The posts above are right on the money. For whatever reason, PSE prints a 6 grains per pound of peak draw weight minimum arrow weight on all their bows. Since you have a 60 lb peak draw weight model bow then their suggested minimum arrow weight when the bow is set at 60 lbs would be 360 grains.

This is somewhat misleading though for several reasons. One, if you are shooting less than the peak weight of your bow then, going by their reasoning, you should be able to shoot less than the minimum arrow weight listed on the limb. Two, it fails to take into account the fact that 6 grains per pound of draw weight is a specific ATA recommendation for those shooting at a 60 lb draw weight and a 30 inch draw length. Shooting a heavier draw weight or a longer draw length, technically, requires a heavier grains per pound of draw weight ratio from the ATA. Lastly, though they suggest shooting no lighter than 6 grains per pound of peak weight PSE regularly shoots their bows below that listing otherwise they could not advertise an IBO speed rating as that is at a 70 lb draw weight, 30 inch draw length while shooting at 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

It IS odd that PSE maintains a 6 grains per pound minimum because Pete Shepley is the original light arrow speed freak.

IBO' s 5 grains per pound rule was an anti-idiot rule, specifically aimed at those that ignored their bow manufacturers' minimum arrow weights and were hurting themselves and others when those bows exploded. I still remember the shock of standing next to a guy on the practice range, shooting a 300 grain arrow from a Pearson Spoiler he said was set at 85 pounds. You ever heard an 85 pound bow being dry fired? Those are the idiots IBO was putting a leash on. At 5 gpp instead of the industry standard 6 gpp, they even still allowed the idiots to go slightly under the industry minimum. All in the world that rule is there for is to keep people from getting hurt.

But, as far as PSE goes, I think it shows good sense. Since Shepley' s a speed freak himself, he knows how people will do their darnedest to snuggle in lighter than warranted minimum. Maybe if he leaves it at 6, not too many will go less than 5.