Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String problem

Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 AM

Default String problem

I just started shooting a bow again and have noticed after 75 or so shots that my string has started to wear where it hits my arm guard. Is there some way to protect the string in this particular area or is it my form thats causing it to slap my armguard.....I' m shooting 4" groups out ot thirty yards, so its not affecting my arrow flight .....I shoot a Pearson 440 Quad which by the way is an excellent shooting bow with the stock string on it......Any advice would be appreciated...Thanx
Old 09-15-2003, 08:51 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String problem

Are you locking your elbow on your bow arm? If you are try slightly unlocking it. Also, is the draw length correct for you? If the draw is too long you will get some wrist slap. With proper form and draw length you shouldn' t need an armgaurd.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:36 AM

Default RE: String problem

Try rotating your elbow out, while maintaining the grip on the bow. It' s not easy, and feels weird at first, but you' ll get used to it. Once you start shooting without your string contacting your arm, you' ll be amazed at how your groups shrink. It will affecting your accuracy.

Wax your string really well. That should help eliminate some of the wear.

Here' s an easy way to learn to keep your elbow out of the way. Stand with your bow arm down at your side, hand open, palm flat against the seam of your pants. Now raise your arm straight out to your side, keeping the palm of your hand facing down toward the ground. Now, without moving your arm, rotate your hand until the palm of it is facing forward (the same way your body is facing). Practice that a few times, then it will be easy to pick up the bow and rotate the elbow out to that position. I' ve done it for so long, my elbow automatically rotates out now without even thinking about it. The only time I wear a armguard now is to keep loose fitting clothes from getting in the way of the string.